Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Channel four

Re: Channel four

Postby Red Rock » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:20 pm

all good on Astra here
Red Rock

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Mel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Hackeredude wrote:I assume you are talking via sattelite? I can still get 4+1 on Astra 2E, 28.2°E on 10935 Mhz Vertical polarisation, and 4 on 10714 Horizontal.

Try rescanning the box?

How do you rescan a box?? Hackerdude, question from an absolute luddite.
Mel

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby schuman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Oh I’m glad you asked that question Mel. Pleased to know I’m not the only Luddite here!!
schuman

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta Torrevieja

Postby Hackeredude » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:18 pm

Mel wrote:
Hackeredude wrote:I assume you are talking via sattelite? I can still get 4+1 on Astra 2E, 28.2°E on 10935 Mhz Vertical polarisation, and 4 on 10714 Horizontal.

Try rescanning the box?

How do you rescan a box?? Hackerdude, question from an absolute luddite.

Well when you set one of these boxes up, essentially its empty, it has no data other than a list of sattelites. So somewhere theres an option on the Insallation menu where you select the Astra Satelite and select Scan.

A sattelite of this sort works by recieving channels from the ground then retransmitting them down towards Earth ona different radio frequency. The devices onboard that do this are called Transponders. Astra 2e has 60 transponders, each one recieving and retransmitting 10 TV or radio channels. Some of these channels will be 'encrypted' and unreadable unless you have a box that can decode them - like a sky box witha card in.

So the idea is you go into the installation menu, select Astra, then select Scan. The box will then check and record all 10 channels on all 60 transponders, and then list the resulting 600 channels.

You have to rescan the box now and then, usually when they move channels about or change the transponder list.

Every box is different as to what menu options you use to do a rescan. Mine is a bit obscure, you go INSTALLATION then SATTELITES select ASTRA 2E and press the blue button on the remote.......Last time we had to do a major rescan was when they moved everything from Astra 2a to 2e/f/g in 2014, and then again about a year ago when they did some minor channel reshuffling, but its not unknown for old boxes to need a rescan if the memory gets slightly corrupt.
Hackeredude

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby cheflady » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks for all info. Brill
cheflady

Postby Mel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Cheers for that Hackerdude, I have just done that and still only have about 8 channels? when I come out in June there were loads??? any other suggestions?
Mel

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Mel wrote:Cheers for that Hackerdude, I have just done that and still only have about 8 channels? when I come out in June there were loads??? any other suggestions?

My guess is that your LNB is faulty. It’s probably lost the signal from one of its orientations, so you’re either getting only horizontal or vertically polarised channels, but not both.
The other possibility is that the dish has moved out of alignment due to strong winds, or that the cable(s) from the LNB to the set top box have stated to fail. This can be caused by water ingress, sun damage, or mechanical damage.

Get a reliable and qualified satellite engineer out to diagnose the problem.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Hackeredude » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:05 pm

i agree with peterknight, looks like you have a dish fault, either the dish has moved or the LNB is what is technically known as 'knackered'. LNB's are cheap enough, and most places charge €50-€100 to replace the LNB and point it back in the right direction. The beam width is only half a degree, so the dish has to be literally within 5mm of the right alignment , or you get nothing, so it doesnt have to move very much to lose everything.

I have a triple system, the TV has three HDMI inputs, no 1 is fed by the Satellite box, the second I use a Mecool Android box, and run Cyberflix and Mobdro softtware, i get literally hundreds of free movies and box sets as well as freesat TV , €35 outlay for that. The third HDMI has a Chromecast device plugged into it, so i can cast stuff off the house computer network, like Youtube, to the TV. The TV also has a good quality 5.1 sound bar plugged ito it, so it works as a excellent music system as well. Now to get this to run smoothly i have 150mb fibre optic broadband. No point in messing about :D
Hackeredude

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Previous