Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Taxis, not one man bands!

Taxis, not one man bands!

Postby Paulwilko10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Hiya

Last time i was in Quesada on holiday, we tried to get a taxi and every name and number mentioned in our villa were busy and were either a very small company or just a one man band.
Is there no companies with more than one or two vehicles?
We gave up last time and just walked to the nearest bar which was not what we wanted at the time.

many thanks

Paul
Paulwilko10

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bracknell

Re: Taxis, not one man bands!

Postby Shiva » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:33 pm

I think the problem is that the taxi business is something of a 'closed shop' , with local Councils issuing very few licences. It is a real problem for transport in the Quesada area, which has zilch in the way of public transport either. It also can explain why people resort to 'illegal' taxis . Presumably the current taxi licence owners are a strong local lobby who don't see it in their interests for more licences to be issued.
Shiva

Postby Paulwilko10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Shiva wrote:I think the problem is that the taxi business is something of a 'closed shop' , with local Councils issuing very few licences. It is a real problem for transport in the Quesada area, which has zilch in the way of public transport either. It also can explain why people resort to 'illegal' taxis . Presumably the current taxi licence owners are a strong local lobby who don't see it in their interests for more licences to be issued.

Oh, not really what i wanted to read lol

I just assumed i hadn't been given the correct numbers lol
Paulwilko10

Postby Jan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Nikon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:46 pm

its a Cartell. basically. a private closed shop and why would they want anyone else doing it they

1. control prices
2, not allow anyone in
3, stopped Uber
4, probably offer a great service
5 WOULD YOU ALLOW IF IT WAS YOUR BUISNESS - PROBALLY NOT - SO REALLY YOU CANT BLAME THEM. IN THE LONGSHOT
Nikon

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paulwilko10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Is it a great service if you can't get one lol

I literally tried 6 companies when i was there in May and all busy.

So i am assuming, can't confirm, but assuming if you don't book in advance you are knackered?
Paulwilko10

Postby Paulwilko10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks Jan

I assume i am not being thick, but i can see at most 2 numbers for the Quesada area?

Reading certain threads they talk of Taxi 1, Taxi 2 etc etc upto Taxi 6.
So i assume they are all one man bands and their company is Taxi then the number.

So where are all the other phone numbers?

I am sure this is standard in alot of Spain, but i've not seen anything like it lol

Cheers
Paul
Paulwilko10

Postby DuFay » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 am

Paul the Taxi service here is Chaotic we ran a stretch limo company back in Scotland & yes they had lots of regulations as well but we were allowed to take all bookings both there & return as long as they were booked in advance but out here we booked to go from Dona Pepa to San Luis for a dance our car turned up on time but once we got there he handed us a card & said i cant return for you but this company can & its booked so just look for there car when you come out but no probs on our departure the car was there & took us home. But that just shows how stupid it is out here as it was Quesada Taxis that took us there & theres a couple of familys involved but very reliable providing you can get a signal to call them as there all on mobiles no landlines, The company that brought us back were Torrievieja Taxis so they had to travel from Torry to san Luis then to Quesada but had to go back without a fare creating more dead mileage not a great way to work a system? Quesada council need to waken up & smell the coffee as with no or next to none local buses it has to be taxis but there like gold dust especially later at night in Quesada always large queues at the local rank. But its not the Taxi Drivers fault they dont set the rules the Council do Hence tha Chaos. Back home we could pick up & drop off at any town or Airport or Station & return to collect as long as it was pre booked & we did not pick up on the fly.
DuFay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 am

DuFay wrote:Paul the Taxi service here is Chaotic we ran a stretch limo company back in Scotland & yes they had lots of regulations as well but we were allowed to take all bookings both there & return as long as they were booked in advance but out here we booked to go from Dona Pepa to San Luis for a dance our car turned up on time but once we got there he handed us a card & said i cant return for you but this company can & its booked so just look for there car when you come out but no probs on our departure the car was there & took us home. But that just shows how stupid it is out here as it was Quesada Taxis that took us there & theres a couple of familys involved but very reliable providing you can get a signal to call them as there all on mobiles no landlines, The company that brought us back were Torrievieja Taxis so they had to travel from Torry to san Luis then to Quesada but had to go back without a fare creating more dead mileage not a great way to work a system? Quesada council need to waken up & smell the coffee as with no or next to none local buses it has to be taxis but there like gold dust especially later at night in Quesada always large queues at the local rank. But its not the Taxi Drivers fault they dont set the rules the Council do Hence tha Chaos. Back home we could pick up & drop off at any town or Airport or Station & return to collect as long as it was pre booked & we did not pick up on the fly.

The rules on the number of licences issued to taxis and the pick up from outside the area are nothing to do with the Quesada or Rojales council although they are the ones who issue the licences. They are regional rules (Valencia) passed down to provincial (Alicante) councils. One of the reasons Uber stopped business was because the Spanish courts decreed they would need the same licences as regular taxis and apply on the same, very long, waiting list.

There have been several bus companies starting up and closing down in the Quesada area since I've been here. They've stopped the services because nobody used them and they have all operated at a loss.
Just yesterday, going out, the Torrevieja to Elche bus (about 14:20) turned into the arches and drove straight around the roundabout and back out as no-one was waiting. Same as a few days before with the same route in the morning and no pickups. I was actually stuck behind it and it didn't pick anyone up until it got to Rojales by the Toyota dealer.

When the Quesada to Guardamar route was fairly regular, you'd be lucky to see 3 people on board and, at €1.50 for the fare, wouldn't even have paid the fuel cost let alone the driver or the company.

Saying that, the taxi service is a bit dire. We stopped using them a few years ago when pickups failed to arrive or we couldn't find one to come back. Now we either walk or I drive and drink Sin Cerveza in the restaurants/bars in town.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Dot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am

Problem with the buses was hat you only had one or two choices per day if they had been more frequent they would probably have been packed,if you go from say San Luis on the bus you can hardly get a seat.
Dot

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo marabu

Next