Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Travel Adaptors Full Time, bad idea?

Re: Travel Adaptors Full Time, bad idea?

Postby GLASSMAN » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:21 am

good posts thanks chrisdee
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby jpeg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:41 am

PeteKnight wrote:LEDs will glow with quite a small voltage applied to them, and some types of LED bulbs are more prone to this than others. This my be why some glow and others don’t.
I’m guessing that you are either seeing some induced current in the wiring for the lighting circuit, caused by the wires being in close proximity to other live wires, or there an issue with the earth bonding, causing a potential between neutral and earth.

If it’s the latter (and it’s my my guess that it is) then you should get the wiring tested by someone with suitable test equipment (a ‘Megger’ type tester) to confirm that your earth resistance isn’t too high.

Pete.

I had that problem and checked all the plugs in the house and found most of them were wired wrongly
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Espanabums » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm

jpeg wrote:
PeteKnight wrote:LEDs will glow with quite a small voltage applied to them, and some types of LED bulbs are more prone to this than others. This my be why some glow and others don’t.
I’m guessing that you are either seeing some induced current in the wiring for the lighting circuit, caused by the wires being in close proximity to other live wires, or there an issue with the earth bonding, causing a potential between neutral and earth.

If it’s the latter (and it’s my my guess that it is) then you should get the wiring tested by someone with suitable test equipment (a ‘Megger’ type tester) to confirm that your earth resistance isn’t too high.

Pete.

I had that problem and checked all the plugs in the house and found most of them were wired wrongly

Thank you both for that information. In our case, just reversing the live and neutral leads in the transformers in the ceiling and the back of the bedroom wall lights the glowing stopped. We had the whole house almost completely rewired about 18 months ago as we had an outside wall knocked down and that housed the old consumer unit. We now have an all singing modern consumer unit installed by a qualified Spanish electrician.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Postby TerryG » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 am

PeteKnight wrote:
The problem is that U.K. re-wireable plugs are basically al the same. Spanish re-wireable plugs are all different in design and the method of wiring them varies enormously.
Pete.

I`ve wired hundreds of twin and earth Spanish plugs since living here and in my experience I have found them all very similar in design and wiring, and not in the least bit difficult to do.
Yes the earth wire is normally shorter and may differ very slightly from plug to plug with the connection but it`s never a problem.
Just a storm in a teacup methinks. !!
TerryG

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:21 pm

TerryG wrote:the earth wire is normally shorter

I’d always recommend cutting the cable so that the Earth wire is longer than either the Line or Neutral. That way if the cable pulls out of the cord grip then the Earth will always be the last wire to disconnect, ensuring the maximum user safety.
If the Earth wire is cut shorter then it can be the first wire to disconnect, which could allow the appliance to continue working without any obvious issues, but making the appliance dangerous for the user.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Previous