Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Travel Adaptors Full Time, bad idea?

Travel Adaptors Full Time, bad idea?

Postby Paulwilko10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Just wondering, we buy our villa this week and we will be bringing some UK plugged items that will be there full time.
Are Euro adaptors okay to use full time?

I can't think why they wouldn't be, but thought i would ask
Cheers

Paul
Paulwilko10

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bracknell

Re: Travel Adaptors Full Time, bad idea?

Postby Hackeredude » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 pm

not a good idea long term, because there always the potential problem that in having things plugged into adapters plugged into power, you have multiple bits of metal being held in contact with each other by mere spring pressure. This a poor contact which presents an impedance to current flow. Over time this will cause the contacts to oxidise, and heat up, and thus burn out or set fire. I just replaced a travel adapter on a microwave with a plug, it was starting to brown, indicating it was overheating.

The best plan then is to change all the plugs. The next best plan is to put a euro plug on a UK 13A 4 gang extension bar. But watch the loading, you dont want to be putting more than 2Kw on such arrangements.
Hackeredude

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Paulwilko10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm

Hackeredude wrote:not a good idea long term, because there always the potential problem that in having things plugged into adapters plugged into power, you have multiple bits of metal being held in contact with each other by mere spring pressure. This a poor contact which presents an impedance to current flow. Over time this will cause the contacts to oxidise, and heat up, and thus burn out or set fire. I just replaced a travel adapter on a microwave with a plug, it was starting to brown, indicating it was overheating.

The best plan then is to change all the plugs. The next best plan is to put a euro plug on a UK 13A 4 gang extension bar. But watch the loading, you dont want to be putting more than 2Kw on such arrangements.

Thank you

Something like this you mean?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Outl ... way&sr=8-6
Paulwilko10

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bracknell

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Just change the plugs
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby PGA » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:25 pm

I have them for a few things used on and off. My thinking being the voltage is the same unlike USA (my 110v-240v converter plugs get very hot when I occasionally use them). For a hairdryer, coffee machine and such like they are switched on and then off after a few minutes of use. For anything needing constant power I’ve tended to stick on a spanish plug or just bought one here.
PGA

Postby El Tel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Hackeredude wrote:not a good idea long term, because there always the potential problem that in having things plugged into adapters plugged into power, you have multiple bits of metal being held in contact with each other by mere spring pressure. This a poor contact which presents an impedance to current flow. Over time this will cause the contacts to oxidise, and heat up, and thus burn out or set fire. I just replaced a travel adapter on a microwave with a plug, it was starting to brown, indicating it was overheating.

Not a good idea to keep a microwave plugged in all the time. We had a well known make, expensive model and one day it just burst into flames. It did not have a clock and nothing came up on the display until you actually used it. Work that one out!
El Tel

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Shiva » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 pm

We have a mix of items, some with uk plugs on adaptors, some spanish plugs. Moving to more and more spanish plugs as we are here longer and get new things. But have never had any problem with using adaptors.
Shiva

Postby A.N.Other » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:49 pm

It's plain stupid, not to mention lazy, to use adapters EXCEPT in cases where you have no choice but that will be limited to small power supplies/chargers for portable devices which typically come with an integrated 13a plug.

If you simply MUST use an adaptor then it's VITAL to check if the device or appliance you're using it with has an earth wire and use an adapter which will pass that as well as the live and NEUTRAL.

There are a lot out there which don't and if you don't know how to tell the difference then for pitys sake change the plug - even if it means getting somebody in to do it for you.

If you had a fire, or god forbid electrocuted someone, and it was traced back to the inappropriate use of an adapter, then not only could your insurer walk away from a claim but in the latter you might find yourself in front of a court facing a very serious charge!
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby Elpando » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Can I ask what type of appliances do people have plugged in that are in constant use on the end of a 13A 3-pin plug? I have several portable appliances brought over from the UK, simply because of their quality to price aspect. As long as you use a branded, correctly rated adaptor, there should be no problem with infrequently used plug-in equipment. There are adaptors out there that have earth continuity connections too. What I will also say is that with a UK 3-pin plug, you have over current protection in the form of a BS1362 fuse specific for that appliance. With European plugs you do not and rely on the breaker in your consumer unit for protection. I personally would never buy or use a cheap tat adaptor from the Chino shops and the like. I would have no problem in using an adaptor albeit probably not on a fridge or freezer but then it is unlikely I would have brought one of these items from the UK anyway. A bit of common sense always prevails really.
Elpando

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Some electrical appliances will have mains leads that plug in, either a 3-pin ‘kettle’ style plug, 2-pin ‘figure of eight’ plug, or a 3-pin ‘cloverleaf’ plug. It’s easy to swap these with one that has a Spanish plug moulded on the end.
Other items will have fixed leads and in these cases the best long-term solution is to cut the plug off and fit a Spanish one.
If you do use UK fused plugs with adaptors, make sure you have a stock of fuses incase one blows, as you can’t get them very easily in Spain.
Some devices will use plug-in mains adapters and with these you usually have no choice but to use a UK to Spanish adaptor. If you have a number of these in one place (near the TV for example) then you could use a multi-way UK power bar and swap the plug for a Spanish one.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Next