Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Where to buy strong chains

Re: Where to buy strong chains

Postby Hackeredude » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm

A.N.Other wrote:Go to a motorcycle shop and buy proper security chains.

Yes, the key name here is "Thatcham Approved", which are motor bike chains made from high tensile steel, and impervious to bolt cutters. The Thatcham Approved padlocks are also high tensile tungsten steel and have various anti shim and anti pick features. I used a chain and padlock for a quad bike I owned, cost me £100, but twice easily resisted the attempts of somone to steal it by bolt cropping the chain and then forcing the lock. Basically the only way to get it off woud lbe oxyacetylene cutter or 30 mins with an angle grinder.
Hackeredude

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Bee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 pm

After advice here went to motorbike shop on Casa Grande Industrial Estate in Torrevieja. Bought motorbike security chain called Urban €45. It is 3ft long. I will need either a second one or some kind of heavy duty stuff to tie the 2 of them to the pillar. There is a Nautical Shop up that way too. Boating people might know if they might have anything that would suit? I am sure boat stuff would be much longer. I tried Lidl but they didn't have any only very light chain.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Mac3blade » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:14 am

Good morning Bee,
Isn’t it dreadful that you have to spend so much time and money in order to secure your bicycles! Truth is, nothing is safe if not securely locked up.
I was going to suggest that you remove the saddles before attaching the chain and padlock. Would you not simply put the bikes into your apartment before going home?
We had 2 bikes and were so fed up taking them outside and chaining them up when we were in residence that we gave them away. It had reached the time when we hadn’t attempted to ride the bikes so it seemed wiser to give them to someone who would make use of them.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Bee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:26 am

I am laughing at your post R as it is exactly how I feel about the bikes. It's because of the nuisance of trying to store them inside a small apartment that I was giving them one last chance back in the garage area. I saw the fold-up bikes in Carrefour for €320 I think it is and really they are the only way to go for occasional use and storing in a confined space.

Bee
Bee

Postby oldman59 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 pm

Here in London bikes are stolen every minute. When they can't take the bike they usually strip it, there's frames only abandoned around the city and still secured to a fixture.
oldman59

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby Bee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:04 pm

As an update bikes secured to bolt in concrete wall. Motorbike chain around both frames underneath saddle frames. Wheels secured to frames. Frames secured together on top frame of bikes. All secured around a pillar. Saddles removed. We will see how long they last.

Bee
Bee

Previous