Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Want to Vote in the General Election?

Re: Want to Vote in the General Election?

Postby Glassfull » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:58 pm

But, a poorly performing NHS, ineffective policing, a crisis in education, an impotent Army and the need for food banks are all the result of Tory policies.

But, taxation has fallen for the wealthy. So that’s a plus, isn’t it?
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby 2Sheds » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:53 pm

The UK's Non Contributory welfare system is still generous compared to many other European countries - in spite of the 'nasty Tories' as many lefties portray.

As for food banks. This is my reading, albeit anecdotal.

My daughter, having survived an acrimonious divorce, now finds herself in rented accommodation looking after two children (ages 9 and 10). She earns a tad more than minimum wage which is supplemented by tax credits, and she receives the bare minimum from her ex husband.

In the three years since her divorce, she's been nowhere near having to go to a food bank. Admittedly we help out with little treats for the kids, but she manages her day to day expenditure through sensible budgeting.

Food banks are being used a political tool, and in my experience their real need is being exploited and even encouraged by the Left.

Interesting that so many people because of there anti Brexit views are getting taken in by left wing policies that they would have totally rejected just a few years back.
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Dave c » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm

You need to get out more and see the real world people are struggling out there.dont believe everything you read in the mail.
Dave c

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Mickey Braw » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 pm

If you had food banks for the expats here, you´d have a queue from the Quesada Arches to Benimar. Free is just irresistible to many here, despite their financial situation.
The moral of the story being, many people using food banks do not really need to.
That also goes for those in the UK who abuse the welfare and social services system.
A system intended to help people back to their feet, not to support them from birth to death.
Mickey Braw

Postby polop » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Mickey Braw wrote:If you had food banks for the expats here, you´d have a queue from the Quesada Arches to Benimar. Free is just irresistible to many here, despite their financial situation.
The moral of the story being, many people using food banks do not really need to.
That also goes for those in the UK who abuse the welfare and social services system.
A system intended to help people back to their feet, not to support them from birth to death.

Very true in every way, applies to most countries welfare system abused, including here where foreigners living here who work illegally and hide funds back home and properties, and try to claim various free services here and back home
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca

Postby Dave c » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:10 pm

For every pound taken by some scroungers there is a hundred taken by the rich with their tax fiddles and off shore accounts.why aren't people up in arms with them.
Dave c

Postby Glassfull » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Dave c wrote:For every pound taken by some scroungers there is a hundred taken by the rich with their tax fiddles and off shore accounts.why aren't people up in arms with them.

Because the truths about Tax fiddles and off shore accounts aren’t printed in the mail, express and the sun. But, the exaggerated tales of one or two scroungers or immigrants, which must be true because they are reported in there, are embellished for the purposes of propaganda, for a section of the public, eager to consume such tripe.

And, why is it wrong for someone to earn money in one country and send it home to another? Is it immoral to invest in a foreign company and enjoy its dividends in the UK?
Last edited by Glassfull on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby garysl » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 pm

You do know that you can't just walk into a food bank and say "I'm a bit skint, let me have some food", don't you? You have to be referred by a professional, like a social worker, health worker etc. Now some of them might be a bit generous with their recommendations, and some people might get a bit of food for the kids when they've used up their cash on drugs and booze, but there certainly isn't wholesale fraud going on. As Dave C says, everyone's being encouraged to look down, so they don't actually look up and see where the real fiddles are going on.
garysl

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Shiva » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Mickey Braw wrote:If you had food banks for the expats here, you´d have a queue from the Quesada Arches to Benimar. Free is just irresistible to many here, despite their financial situation.

Oh goodness, a thread that started out about how to register to vote for the likely forthcoming General Election has turned into a debate about who has to use or not use foodbanks...
Just a few points of clarification ... Firstly, people can't just walk into a foodbank and get 'free stuff' . They have to be referred by a recognized agency, whether this is their doctor, the DWP , the Job Centre, the CAB, their Church Minister etc . They have to have a 'Food Voucher' which is only available from the recognized referral agency. While there may well be a handful of people who'll do anything to beat the system including giving Oscar-winning performances on their need to a gullible Job Centre Official or a Church Minister they will be a tiny , tiny minority compared to people who are genuinely in crisis.

Secondly - why are people in crisis and who are these people? Foodbanks are a relatively new phenomenon and researchers so far are suggesting it is associated with the much more widespread insecurity or work or income that affects people who are already near the edge, often socially isolated without a family safety net. It is a 'sudden shock' like losing a job, getting a big bill, being 'sanctioned' by the DWP . It does not tend to be people in steady jobs ( even low paid steady jobs) or who have some kind of family safety net ( like the daughter mentioned by one of the earlier posters who seems to be in a relatively stable (albeit probably still difficult) situation with the additional reassurance that she has family who would ultimately help.
This is a link to a BBC article about the subject for those who are seriously interested. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40431701

It does not have to be seen as a 'left wing' or 'right wing' issue ; Having some compassion and trying to understand the situation is not party political. I fully understand why some people might be automatically sceptical - I am no fan of 'scroungers' either and I am perfectly aware some of those exist. But there are people really suffering who are not 'scroungers'. Much of the problem may be a result of the way life in the modern world is changing, some people just can't cope with it, and the problem will exist whatever political party is running the show. But I do think it's a problem that needs to be SEEN and acknowledged even if there may be no easy answers.

Anyway, back to the General Election. Anyone who is eligible to register PLEASE DO. I used to be against the idea of compulsory voting i.e we should make it make it not just your right to vote but a legally compelled duty ( even if you just go and destroy the ballot paper because you'd rather have 'none of the above'. ) At least that way we might get close to an idea of what the 'will of the entire people' really is and not just that of those who got round to voting.
Shiva

Postby GLASSMAN » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Dave c wrote:For every pound taken by some scroungers there is a hundred taken by the rich with their tax fiddles and off shore accounts.why aren't people up in arms with them.
Because the the rich and the wealthy control the army ,police and social security etc , they are called politicians ,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

PreviousNext