Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Damp and mould in attached villa

Damp and mould in attached villa

Postby suzette » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am

The villa attached to ours had a leak in the recent rains. The water came through to our villa and caused damp and mould.
We cleared the obstruction on their balcony which caused the water to enter their villa and into ours.
We sorted our problems with dehumidifiers, but the people next door do not live there and have not fixed their damp and mould problems.
They have been informed of the damage by email, but have said they are not back until December.
We are worried that when we go back to England next week for a month, we will return to damp and mould again.
Can their damp and mould come through to us?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
suzette

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo marabu

Re: Damp and mould in attached villa

Postby michelle3934841 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 am

Hi I wouldn’t think so but do you have a key holder ..?? If so and they are close to nip in and keep a eye on things leave your dehumidifier running,, put it on your kitchen side / in downstairs shower cubicle if you have one so the pipe that you can put in the back can drain ,, if not get the moisture tubs from Leroy Merlin they are very good also .
Hope this helps
michelle3934841

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby maria elena » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:58 am

Not sure if this will help but this was our experience: on the advice of Derek at the town hall, we completed a form expressing our concern about a shared garden wall which was in danger of falling down. This was taken up by the Ayuntamiento in Rojales who wrote to our absent neighbours in Russia - not sure what they said but they were back pronto to talk to us about it. Have a chat with Derek in the first instance.
maria elena

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby daz » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Personally I wouldn’t worry too much, if it’s going to leak that excessively then a humidifier won’t solve much anyway, especially if you are not going to be there to monitor it. If u reckon you have found the root of the problem then over the course of time it will dry it self out. If on your return, any mould has appeared, just get a litre of water with 200ml is of bleach in it, wipe it over the affected areas, no scrubbing needed, and leave it, in half hour it should be gone, repeat as needed. Simple. Good luck
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Wabryce » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:40 am

I would tread very carefully when trying to remove mould from walls floors and ceilings by adding bleach.
Mould is now classed as a serious health hazard, now in the same classification as asbestos in the UK.
If trying to remove I would have at least a good face mask and gloves on, but still be aware of the spours that will be disturbed and probably not visible to the eye. There are a whole host of different mould types, not all bad.
Not an expert on this but my mate is.
Wabryce

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Starman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am

Bleach retards mould, but does not kill it. Please use a specific mould killer and wear gloves, facemask etc.
Starman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada golf

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am

FINALLY,
MY TIP FOR THE DAY.

Once you have cleaned your wall, it is time to seal it and that is so simple.

Buy a bottle of UPVA glue, pour all of it into a basin/ bucket. Fill the bottle with water and pour 5 of these into the glue. ...ie 1 glue and 5 water. Stir well and slap all of this onto your wall and allow to dry.
This is the old fashioned way that decorators sized walls before painting or papering.
Last week, while having our bathroom completely remodelled, we decided to replanted. I watched the apprentice painting this mixture onto the wall , I asked what the reason was and the answer was TO SEAL IT.

Years ago, we had mould all around the bedroom windows, I used this method to stop it and it works brilliantly. Cheap and effective.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Ginger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:41 am

Wipe over area with bleach, let dry, repeat once more then problem should be solved. We have so little rain here in Spain that damp penetration should not be an issue.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby Janie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Where can you buy UPVA here in Quesada or surrounding areas? Also what is it called in Spanish.
Thank you
Janie

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby willemite » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:10 am

I agree with Wabryce comment regarding the mound - do not rub it, very dangerous. I know by experience as I’m being treated for mould fungi in lungs - monthly injection for 2 years. Mould spurs can be a killer - it’s like having an severe asthma attack.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Next