Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Entitlement for uk visit

Re: Entitlement for uk visit

Postby Paulr » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Adey wrote:I appear to fall through the net for getting an EHIC card, I'm not retired so no S1 and I don't pay into the system in Spain, but I do get free healthcare from the Valencian government, but neither Spanish nor the British want to give me an EHIC, so I will just wait until I can get an S1 next July.

I don't understand: if you don't qualify for an S1 from the UK and you don't pay into the Spanish system, how do you get "free healthcare from the Valencian goverment"?
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Adey » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I read somewhere about 8 years ago that as a European I was entitled to free healthcare, at the time I think it was only the Valencian government doing it in Spain, in fact the central PP government in Madrid told them to stop giving us free healthcare at one point, but luckily the Valencian government told them to sod off.

At the time all I had to do was get a letter from Newcastle, it had to state that I moved out of the UK and was not now entitled to NHS healthcare, it had to be written in English and Spanish which to my surprise Newcastle did for me. Then off to the INSS office in Torrevieja with padron, residencia, passport and the Newcastle letter, the only question they asked was do I earn over €100,000 a year, I wish.

They gave me an A4 bit of paper, took it next door to the salud and they gave me my sip card, which doesn't have an expiry date on.
Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Adey wrote:I read somewhere about 8 years ago that as a European I was entitled to free healthcare, at the time I think it was only the Valencian government doing it in Spain, in fact the central PP government in Madrid told them to stop giving us free healthcare at one point, but luckily the Valencian government told them to sod off.

At the time all I had to do was get a letter from Newcastle, it had to state that I moved out of the UK and was not now entitled to NHS healthcare, it had to be written in English and Spanish which to my surprise Newcastle did for me. Then off to the INSS office in Torrevieja with padron, residencia, passport and the Newcastle letter, the only question they asked was do I earn over €100,000 a year, I wish.

They gave me an A4 bit of paper, took it next door to the salud and they gave me my sip card, which doesn't have an expiry date on.

8 years ago would have been prior to 2012. Everything changed after that and the residual health care (where you got so many years based on NI payments in UK) stopped. Anyone who had been registered prior to 2012 retained their healthcare entitlement but after that it was only under 18, over retirement age, pregnant women and registered disabled who got free healthcare. Regardless of NI payments in your home country, you had to have private health insurance unless you fell into one of those categories.

Everything changes, unfortunately.

And with regard to M&W original question, if you have an S1 you are entitled to free healthcare on the NHS in UK.
You don't need a copy of it as a quick speed dial call by the receptionist to Newcastle will confirm it. Advice is to have your NI number to hand to speed the process up, though.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Adey » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 pm

I've sent other people to get their SIP cards the same way since 2012, also there was never any mention from either the British or Spanish about any NI payments.
Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Adey wrote:I've sent other people to get their SIP cards the same way since 2012, also there was never any mention from either the British or Spanish about any NI payments.

You're misunderstanding.
If you were under retirement age you could get an S1 for a certain amount of time based on your NI payments prior to leaving UK. This was stopped in 2012 (or thereabouts).
Now you can not get this "residual cover" (as it was called) and can only get an S1 if you are in one of the groups mentioned. You could use this residual S1 to apply for residency.
The Spanish had no interest in NI payments as the UK issued the S1 and that's all you needed.
You can get temporary SIP cards without an S1 but that is simply so you don't need to use your EHIC every time you see a doctor. You can't get a permanent SIP without an S1 or private health insurance now so won't get the benefits of reduced prescriptions and the payment cap nor apply for residency

It was actually 2014 when they stopped accepting the residual S1 but those who were on the system from 2012 were entitled to keep it.

Healthcare in Spain.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Jillandsteve » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:35 am

Great response from Marcliff, succinct and as accurate as usual
Well done
Jillandsteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Previous