Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Hip Replacement

Re: Hip Replacement

Postby Ron Hill » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 am

I recently had a hip replacement in Torrevieja hospital and certainly could not describe the nursing as second to none as put by Marcliff.
I was lucky in that my partner who is a nurse in the UK was with me throughout . In discussion with Spanish nurses she found that Spanish nurses are no where near trained to the same standard as in UK. In fact many Spanish nurses go to the UK to advance their training.

However, the surgery was excellent but the food was terrible and while they say the waiting time for a hip is 4 months I waited nearly a year
Ron Hill

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Barry martyn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

dear shelles. not a nasty reply , nothing nasty implied or said , as for pain back sciatica neck shoulders and heal give me jip every day all result of previous career and removals etc,
your post seemed as tho' you had self diagnosed and it was urgent! however the nhs is the way to go good luck
Barry martyn

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paulr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Shelles wrote:Hip replacement needed urgently, not resident here so can’t get it done on the Spanish National Health system so I will have to pay to go Private. My question is do I have it done in Spain or the UK? Does anyone know the cost of having it done at the private hospital in Torreveija? How much is a CT scan in the private hospital? It would be much nicer to convalesce in Spain.

Any info would be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to raise the "B" word, but if the UK leaves the EU on 31st October, as a Non-resident, you will only be able to stay in Spain (or anywhere else in the Schengen travel area) for a maximum of 90 days in 180 days, so even if you're able to get a date for the operation in the next 3 weeks, how can you be sure that 90 days will be sufficient for your recuperation?

Also, if there are any post-operative complications, this could result in additional cost.

I think you'd be better off waiting to have the operation in the UK.
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Ron Hill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:36 pm

What utter nonsense from Paulr the healthcare issue between Spain and UK has already been agreed by act of Spanish parliament until at least Dec 2020 and is written by decree. So if the poster wishes to have treatment privately in Spain then so be it. But as a non resident I’d be surprised if it was done in Spain at all unless as an emergency or on a fee basis. AND the waiting list here is quoted as 4 months but mine took a year
Ron Hill

Postby Shelles » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 pm

I hope that 90 day rule in 180 days never becomes enforced or Quesada will be empty.
Shelles

Postby Ronnie112 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Shelles wrote:Hip replacement needed urgently, not resident here so can’t get it done on the Spanish National Health system so I will have to pay to go Private. My question is do I have it done in Spain or the UK? Does anyone know the cost of having it done at the private hospital in Torreveija? How much is a CT scan in the private hospital? It would be much nicer to convalesce in Spain.

Any info would be very useful.

If it's that urgent go private and pay the money.

Thanks in advance.
Ronnie112

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby artiste » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 pm

If you need care at home afterwards bear in mind the extra cost. If you have a partner of family then of course that doesn't apply. A neighbour here has been waiting more than a year, but now has a date for Torrevieja hospital. He expects to be in hospital for 3 days - so willed support for some weeks afterwards.
artiste

Postby Ron Hill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 am

artiste wrote:If you need care at home afterwards bear in mind the extra cost. If you have a partner of family then of course that doesn't apply. A neighbour here has been waiting more than a year, but now has a date for Torrevieja hospital. He expects to be in hospital for 3 days - so willed support for some weeks afterwards.

Was your neighbour waiting for a hip replacement op? As I said in my previous post I was told by the surgeon it was a 4 month waiting list but waited over a year to get one hip done and seeing the surgeon again next week to arrange for my other hip to be done
Ron Hill

Postby Paulr » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Ron Hill wrote:What utter nonsense from Paulr the healthcare issue between Spain and UK has already been agreed by act of Spanish parliament until at least Dec 2020 and is written by decree. So if the poster wishes to have treatment privately in Spain then so be it. But as a non resident I’d be surprised if it was done in Spain at all unless as an emergency or on a fee basis. AND the waiting list here is quoted as 4 months but mine took a year

The agreement between Spain and the UK is based on it being reciprocal. El Pais reported on 26 September 2019 that both the Spanish Government and the EU had expressed concern that not only isn't the UK offering reciprocity on a like-for-like basis, the UK also hasn't enshrined their offer in law. Spain's own legislation included a caveat that if the UK didn't reciprocate on a like-for-like basis, they reserved the right to suspend the legislation after 2 months.

So, Ron Hill, not "utter nonsense" at all!
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Audbro » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:00 pm

In Scotland the wait is 18 weeks after seeing the consultant. With around 3 days hospitalisation, couple district nurse visit at home for wound care. Exercises to be undertaken from day one to promote recovery. In general requiring support at home for around 4 weeks post surgery. Outpatient appointment at 6 weeks to assess recovery, movement , joint etc. Can usually fly after 6 weeks. I would suggest back to general good fitness at around 12 weeks if no complications. My advice would be make sure you undertake the exercises from day one and don’t miss them out. They are crucial to a full recovery.
Audbro

PreviousNext