Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Hip Replacement

Hip Replacement

Postby Shelles » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 am

Hip replacement needed urgently, not resident here so can’t get it done on the Spanish National Health system so I will have to pay to go Private. My question is do I have it done in Spain or the UK? Does anyone know the cost of having it done at the private hospital in Torreveija? How much is a CT scan in the private hospital? It would be much nicer to convalesce in Spain.

Any info would be very useful.

Thanks in advance.
Shelles

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Hip Replacement

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:26 am

I have never had a hip replacement either here or the U.K. but imagine the cost will be high.
The Hospital Quiron is as good as any private hospital at home.
Make an appointment to speak with a consultant...you can do this by filling in your details online and you will be contacted in due course. It is possible that your consultantation may be free but cannot be certain.
Like you, I would certainly consider having surgery done here, in particular during the winter months when you can recuperate in the gentle winter heat.
Just a thought. As you are FREE FUNDING..ie paying out of your own pocket, explain this to the consultant and ask for a reduced price.as many people have their care paid for by their Insurance company, it is common practice to pay less if paying yourself. You will have to pay a deposit when agreeing to have the surgery and agreed a date. The day you go in to the hospital, you will have to pay the balance owing. Your credit card will be acceptable.

Do your research quickly. Search online...both home and Spain. Sadly, the euro and pound are both almost on a parity so no saving to be made there. Perhaps, once we have finally exited from the EU our pound may become stronger which would be a plus for you.

The staff at the Hospital Quiron speak many languages including English. Good luck.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Massie57 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 am

12,500 euros private at Quiron
Massie57

Postby Barry martyn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:32 pm

hip replacement urgent ,! who told you it was urgent. go back to uk you are not resident, nhs or go private ! anywhere.
Barry martyn

Postby Mickey Braw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Another thing to consider is that you’ll need someone to stay in the hospital with you, if you have the op in Spain.
You don’t get nursed in Spain in the way you would expect in the UK.
Mickey Braw

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Mickey Braw wrote:Another thing to consider is that you’ll need someone to stay in the hospital with you, if you have the op in Spain.

You do in the hospital at Torrevieja. The nursing is second to none and I was a bit concerned as I'd heard the same stories.
No problems. My wife was violently sick due to some of the medication. I'd heard, on the grapevine, that the relatives would have to clear things up like this. Nope, one of the ladies came round and did it all. Same with help with washing and so on (bit awkward having a shower with two of those wheelie things to cart around).

Plus the OP is talking about having it done privately so I imagine it would be rather different to the horror stories that get bandied about.

You would, of course, need help at home which may not be provided but the nurses at the local medical centre were absolutely excellent with my wife and cleaned, treated and dressed post op wounds on a daily basis.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Shiva » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:44 pm

:text-goodpost:
marcliff wrote:
Mickey Braw wrote:Another thing to consider is that you’ll need someone to stay in the hospital with you, if you have the op in Spain.

You do in the hospital at Torrevieja. The nursing is second to none and I was a bit concerned as I'd heard the same stories.
No problems. My wife was violently sick due to some of the medication. I'd heard, on the grapevine, that the relatives would have to clear things up like this. Nope, one of the ladies came round and did it all. Same with help with washing and so on (bit awkward having a shower with two of those wheelie things to cart around).

Plus the OP is talking about having it done privately so I imagine it would be rather different to the horror stories that get bandied about.

You would, of course, need help at home which may not be provided but the nurses at the local medical centre were absolutely excellent with my wife and cleaned, treated and dressed post op wounds on a daily basis.
Shiva

Postby Mickey Braw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:50 pm

I’m am not for one minute saying that a relative would be expected to change dressings, give injections etc.
My wife has spent much time in St Jaime and latterly Quiron, each time I have been expected to stay there with her to help her with things like getting her to the toilet etc.
Where as in the UK you could walk away from the hospital and just turn up at visiting times, if you wished.
That’s not what tends to happen in Spain the family is expected to assist where they can.
Again, I am not knocking the Spanish hospitals, private or state, so no need to get your dukes up.
Mickey Braw

Postby Busters Mum » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:23 pm

If you’re paying to have it done privately then it’s about £10k in the UK and similar in Spain. You’ll need to have a friend or family member living with you to help you for about two months after the op whichever country you choose. If you currently have a home in both countries and you’re going to go private I think I’d choose UK simply because you’ll feel pretty rotten after the op and familiar faces and voices will be a touch more comforting.
Busters Mum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Bee » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:48 am

Could you get it done in Spain free under the TAS Treatment Abroad Scheme.I do know that waiting times for hip replacements are quite long in the UK. You would have to check with Quiron that they are registered for this EU scheme. I would be surprised if they are not.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health ... -s2-route/

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Next