Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Wall cracks

Wall cracks

Postby 2Sheds » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this.

We've had our Carla style house for 15+ years, and having visited other similar style properties, I have noticed that there are the same types of small cracks that appear in certain parts of the building. So I assume that these are some sort of design flaw, rather than settlement or worse subsidence.

However, lately I've noticed that there is a diagonal hairline crack on the thin internal wall (9cm) between the lounge and bedroom. It is more noticeable in the bedroom in certain light and it seems to be in the vicinity where on the other side of the wall there is a hollow panel where various cables enter the property (TV, internet, conduit from the roof etc) along with drilling over the years.

TBH painting over it would probably cover it without even filling.
From what I've noticed, small cracks seem to be more apparent over here than say the UK, so I'm just wondering if I should just ignore it?
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Re: Wall cracks

Postby daz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 am

Rather than a significant structural problem, what it may be is just the rendering or external coat that has settled at the time it was put on, and then it sets in place once it had cured. Add to that any initial property settlement cracks we tend to get on any new build. Then painted over with these poly ripple style thick paints. Over time the paint flakes and leaves these areas uncovered, and so we think it is something out of the blue and serious.
not that I know anything about your property, unless you suddenly find yourself with a gaping crack of more than a quarter inch or more in areas you know there weren’t any at all, then I doubt it is a problem.
If you are still worried though, just get a structural engineer in to give you official advice.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby rfh40 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi ya,

Not sure if you live in Spain all year round but, if the house has got really cold in winter months this can result in hairline cracks occurring as you describe.

TTFN
rfh40

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby 2Sheds » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll monitor it. The cracks are pretty thin, and yes there are months in the winter when it is unoccupied - notably Dec and Jan.
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:00 am

I,ve noticed cracks ,its can only be settlement cracks /drying out cracks, if hairline. most Spanish new builds for the last 30 years are built on concrete rafts to allow for earthquake movement, noticed a new build by me 12months old ,has had a large hole appeared on the pavement directly outside the property cant see inside the property boundary as the wall is too high, but I suspect that's with all the rain/floods washing the back fill away,but saying that the builder is,nt very good in my eyes as he built my property and I have had water ingress like many others I my street through the roof ,,and his reply to that many years ago while property was so called under guarantee ,was contact your insurance ,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/