Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Taxed at source uk income

Taxed at source uk income

Postby Steve4878 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:01 pm

Can anyone explain what "taxed at source" means in regard to uk pensions.
I have heard that uk Government pensions like police and nhs are taxed at source so not taxable in Spain.
However my Spanish accountant here says once a resident, all uk income is taxed in Spain and not in the uk??
Steve4878

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bennimar

Re: Taxed at source uk income

Postby garysl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 pm

My pension in taxed in the UK "at source" because it's classed as a government pension. It's a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Spain, I believe. Army. Police, Civil Service and others are included. NHS ones aren't actually classed as government pensions, funnily enough, because that's what my wife receives and all her tax is payable over here. When I went to do it last time, I was told that the government pension thing might be getting scrapped soon, but, as far as I know, there's been no change recently.
garysl

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Steve4878 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Gary, how does this work then? Do I just get paid my police pension and have it taxed in the uk, then only declare it in Spain but am not taxed in Spain
Steve4878

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bennimar

Postby A.N.Other » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes, you declare ALL income in order for your tax liability in Spain to be calculated then any tax you've paid in UK is offset against that.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby Espanabums » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 pm

A.N.Other wrote:Yes, you declare ALL income in order for your tax liability in Spain to be calculated then any tax you've paid in UK is offset against that.

That is not correct as far as UK Government pensions are concerned. Such pensions are taxed solely in UK and are not taxed in Spain. Such pensions, though, are declared in Spain as exempt income. The upshot of this is that any tax payable in Spain may well be at a higher rate as their total income may move them into a higher tax bracket. If they are not liable to pay any tax in Spain then their UK Government pension so declared will not alter that position.

I have such a UK Government pension but no Spanish income. My UK pension is taxed at source in UK and I pay no Spanish tax whatsoever.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Postby A.N.Other » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Espanabums wrote:

That is not correct as far as UK Government pensions are concerned. Such pensions are taxed solely in UK and are not taxed in Spain. Such pensions, though, are declared in Spain as exempt income. The upshot of this is that any tax payable in Spain may well be at a higher rate as their total income may move them into a higher tax bracket. If they are not liable to pay any tax in Spain then their UK Government pension so declared will not alter that position.

I believe that's what I said in substance.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby Ginger » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 pm

I have a local government pension plus UK state pension. In Spain both are added together and tax paid accordingly. The local government gas a zero tax code therefore tax not deducted in the UK.
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby 60sTrolleyDolly » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:47 am

I get a pension from a local govt job i had. they knock the pension of then next year when i pay my resident tax i get it all back off the uk in order to givve it to spain. Its the bureacratic abortion you expect from the spanish.
60sTrolleyDolly

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Floreus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am

Unless you're exempt in UK you will be taxed in UK.
This may all change over the Brexit nonese.
Floreus

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada