Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Does local government spend more on Rojales than Quesada?

Re: Does local government spend more on Rojales than Quesada

Postby Paul58 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 pm

TonTri wrote::text-goodpost: :text-thankyouyellow: Marcliff

In answer to the OP, I don't get the impression that less is spent on Quesada, however Quesada it possibly seems has by far the bigger area and proportionately less people contributing. Although I'm not trying to condone council spending, and particularly the bin situation, it could be that it is struggling to control an ever increasing population/houses without the equivalent funding.

I would be inclined to agree.......but what can the council do?

Rojales council do try to encourage, illegally or otherwise, people who have holiday homes to register on the padron in order to get national funding for certain (immigrant) Expat, holiday owning, areas such as Quesada. However, if these homes are only used a couple of times a year, owners cannot expect the same services that full time residents enjoy. If only 30% register on the padron, then the local government only assign 30% funding. I'm sorry but this seems fair to me.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby PeteKnight » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:27 am

marcliff wrote:Anyone spending more than 3 months in Spain should obtain residency. Only if you spend more than 6 months in Spain do you become a fiscal resident and start paying income taxes.
To obtain residency, fiscal or non-fiscal, you must be registered on the padron so that makes a farce out of it being your main place of residence.
Many, not just Rojales, councils allow non-residents to be on the padron especially for taking out non-fiscal residency and, indeed, encourage such residents to do so. Arboleas in Almeria, where I know some friends, insists that anyone residing for a period of 3 months and becoming non-fiscal residents are to be on the padron.

I can find no articles, comments, views, reports or anything at all on any website, search engine (English or Spanish) where anyone has been fined for being on the padron without being a resident nor can I find anything about any council being fined for allowing non residents to do so.

Scaremongering from someone outside a council area which does allow you to sign on the padron as a non-resident is one reason why the money isn't there to fund public services.

The Rojales council, as many other councils in Spain, define habitual residency as it being your only home in Spain regardless of how long you live there.

The Spanish authorities are very good at claiming money and issuing fines to bring in some extra cash. If this was such an issue, I'm sure they'd have done it by now.

Marcliff, you’re correct that I don’t live in the Rojales area. I live in Orihuela Costa, a local authority area that was previously fined for allowing the registration of people who weren't habitually resident in the area.

More discussion on the subject here:
https://www.costablancaforum.com/area/a ... drn-45644/

The whole 3 month/6 month thing is an area where the Spanish authorities get themselves in a contradictory mess, and in the past tried the crazy 3 month NIE certificate thing to get around things, but that was obviously never going to work.
The chicken and egg contradiction of which comes first, Padrón or Residencia is another area where some local authorities get themselves in a muddle.

The basic principal is that if you stay, or intend to stay, for 3 months or more at any one time in any EU country then you should register with the authorities as an alien.
Spain’s crazy way of handling that is to use the same process as when you apply for residencia, which is clearly not the correct way to handle the process.

That whole issue will go away if Brexit does eventually happen, as staying for more than months won’t be possible without a visa, which will only be granted to those seeking to become domiciled in an EU country.

In the meantime, being registered on the electoral roll of more than one EU country is illegal and fraudulent, so anyone on the Spanish Padrón and a UK electoral roll is acting illegally.
I too have never heard of individuals being fined for illegally being on the Padrón, but as the law currently says that the penalty is between €501 and €10,000 per person then I don’t see how they could avoid not fining individuals if/when a Local Authority is fined.

I guess it’s a case of individuals making their own informed decisions, but the potential risks (in terms of personal fines) compared to the relatively measly €177 per person per year that the Local Authority gets in return doesn’t seem worth the risk in my book.

Fortunately I don’t have to make that choice, as we never stay more than 3 months at a time, and my Local Authority have learned their lesson and won’t let people who aren’t habitual residents register on the Padrón.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Red Rock » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 pm

When my car was registered at Trafico I was told I needed to be on the Padron, Residencia wasn't mentioned.

Just saying like
Red Rock

Postby Black » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 pm

I have no particular axe to grind, but I see a lot more maintenance (gardening/street cleaning) going on in the older part of Rojales than where I live (Recorral area). It's a fact.
Black

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby lexia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 pm

You do not have to be a resident to sign on the Padrone.
lexia

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Glassfull » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 pm

What I find odd is that the Council requires people on the Padron to claim central funds but relies on people going to the trouble of traipsing to the Town Hall to register. You’d think they’d be proactive.

Now, we’ve always done on a six monthly basis but, is a half yearly renewal necessary?
Glassfull

Postby PeteKnight » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Red Rock wrote:When my car was registered at Trafico I was told I needed to be on the Padron, Residencia wasn't mentioned.

Just saying like

You don't have to be on the Padron to own a Spanish registered car. I've owned two and am not on the Padron (because it would be illegal).

If you are moving to Spain and importing a car and registering it onto Spanish plates then in some circumstances you may be able to avoid paying import tax as it could be classed as a personal possession. There is a very small window of opportunity for this, and the clock starts ticking when you first register on the Padron. As a result, you may be asked that question to verify your entitlement to avoid the tax, but it's still not a requirement to be o the pardon to import a vehicle.
The fist time you become known to Trafico they will want proof of address, which may take the form of a copy of a 6+ month rental agreement, or a copy of the short form deeds. Once you are in the system and quote the same address that they already have on file for you then that documentation probably wont be needed (unless there's an 'R' in the month!).

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby nickel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 am

Just take a look at Avenida del Mar in Pueblo Bravo the bins are overflowing and are becoming a health hazard. They have taken away half the bins and they used to be emptied every day but not now. It has never been this bad before.
nickel

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Shiva » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:42 pm

"In the meantime, being registered on the electoral roll of more than one EU country is illegal and fraudulent, so anyone on the Spanish Padrón and a UK electoral roll is acting illegally."

While I agree the Pardon Registration issue is a problematic one,for all the reasons aired here on the forum, I think you are mistaken about it being illegal to be on more than one electoral role. You may be confusing being on an electoral register with actually voting. It IS illegal to VOTE more than once in the same election ( and in the EU therefore a debate being had about in which country you should vote in the European Elections. You can do it in one place or another but not in more than one. ) But anyone who has been resident here, for example, for less than 15 years will be on the electoral role here for local government and european elections but are also entitled to be on the UK register and vote in the upcoming general election. With european elections you should only opt to vote in one place or another but you might still be registered in two countries.
Similarly in the UK, it is perfectly legal to be on the electoral register in more than one constituency (students, for instance, can be registered at both their home and term time addresses, people with second homes can be registered in two places, etc.) But you are only allowed to vote once, in ONE of the places you are registered.
Shiva

Previous