Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Iceland la marina

Re: Iceland la marina

Postby marcliff » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 pm

william wrote:Iceland to expensive you can get most things cheaper elsewhere. Wait until the new Tesco's arrive then their prices will drop.

Part of that I agree with and part I don't.
We only go to Iceland about once every two months. Many things are cheaper there than outside and they do things you can't get elsewhere. For example, a Melton Mowbray pork pie is €1.50 and the only ones outside are frozen ones at over €3. You can't get Cornish pasties outside whereas Iceland do Ginsters for €2 for 2. A deep pan pizza (meat feast) in Iceland is €1.50 and outside (if you can get a deep pan one) 3 to 4 euro. Toothpaste is often on offer at Iceland with Colgate at €1 and over €2 elsewhere. Cheesecake at €1.60 in Iceland and the same one in Mercadona at €3.65.
Those tins of chocolates mentioned are €8.75 outside so €4.95 is excellent.
Mince pies in the shops that do them are €3.75 for six and Iceland are €2.50 for 12 next week.

Loads of examples. We don't buy meat in Iceland nor bread (well overpriced and pretty poor quality) and we do most of our shopping in Lidl or Consum or Mercadona or Aldi (trouble is, you can't get everything you want in one shop over here). We certainly don't buy cleaning stuff in Iceland although, occasionally, things on offer are worth getting, like decent loo rolls for example. Nor do we buy cereal which is rather overpriced in Iceland = Kelloggs corn flakes are half the price in Mas y Mas.

And it's not a Tesco in Mazarron. It's a shop that sells certain Tesco items but, as we don't use ready meals or other stuff I doubt we'd use it if it opened round here (and there are no plans for doing so).

So, yes, we do buy things in Iceland occasionally. But I certainly wouldn't decry as everything being expensive and you can get everything cheaper outside. Nor would I use Iceland for all our shopping.

(And, no, those items do not form the majority of our shopping. Fish and meat we get from the Spanish shops - Lidl fillet steaks are excellent and good value - Consum or Gama meat counter for beef and pork plus cold meats which are both excellent and good value and Mercadona for fish, except cod which is very salty and they do lovely unsalted cod in breadcrumbs at Pick n Pay in Guardamar).

Enjoy. Shop where you want, buy what you want. Aldi for sour cream, bread and croissants. Cheeses from Carrefour and so on.

But also remember, when comparing prices, the shipping costs Iceland have to pay, the exchange rate fluctuations and the 4 to 8 percent VAT on food here which doesn't apply in UK, oh, and those silly ingredient labels they have to stick on everything which normally cover the barcode price label.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Red Rock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Ronnie112 wrote:There's some right grumpy people on this site they need to chill out and have a laugh now and then :text-lol:

from memory you are the bloke who sticks his beak in where it isn't needed
Red Rock

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Tim Stephens » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:11 pm

A.N.Other wrote:Is that it, just chocolates?

A bargain is only a bargain if it's something you want or need and I don't want or need chocolates.
Tim Stephens

Postby Tim Stephens » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 pm

A.N.Other wrote:Is that it, just chocolates?

A bargain is only a bargain if it's something you want or need and I don't want or need chocolates.
Tim Stephens

Postby JanBee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:27 am

Thank you Littlechris for the information re bargains in Iceland - good to know!!
So hacked off with some of the negativity from some moaners though!! Who really needs to know if someone doesn't want or has no need for chocolate???? Honestly, some people need to get a life or invest in a sense of humour! Why criticise someone for trying to be helpful .....?? Beats me?!!
JanBee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña Pepa 2, Quesada

Postby Ron Hill » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:21 am

JanBee wrote:Thank you Littlechris for the information re bargains in Iceland - good to know!!
So hacked off with some of the negativity from some moaners though!! Who really needs to know if someone doesn't want or has no need for chocolate???? Honestly, some people need to get a life or invest in a sense of humour! Why criticise someone for trying to be helpful .....?? Beats me?!!

Couldn’t agree more
Ron Hill

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby AnnetteD » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 am

Ron Hill wrote:
JanBee wrote:Thank you Littlechris for the information re bargains in Iceland - good to know!!

Couldn’t agree more

Me too, sick of hearing their negativity.
AnnetteD

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Fiesta, Quesada

Postby Dot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 am

Ditto!
Dot

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo marabu

Postby derekbroad. » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:53 am

Littlechris wrote:A.n,other. Go and have a look u might be suprised, ps i do like chocolates. If you read the post properly i started off with lots off bargains.

Perhaps you should have said " Lots of bargains including your favourite etc etc "
But that still wouldn`t stop the miserable moaning gits.
derekbroad.

Which part of Spain are you from?: .. La Veleta.

Postby kathyl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm

I went yesterday, bought stuff I would normally get (don't go in Iceland more than once a year), loads of bargains. Not just christmasy stuff
kathyl

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

PreviousNext