Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Register ourself in Rojales/Quesada

Register ourself in Rojales/Quesada

Postby kjellv » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 am

hi

Is there any down- or up- sides in register ourself in the community, we are not residents, only refugies from the winter up North
kjellv

Which part of Spain are you from?: Done Pepa, Quesada

Re: Register ourself in Rojales/Quesada

Postby Shiva » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 am

Ahh... You have raised what you will soon discover is a much disputed issue on the forum... "To padron or not to padron, that is the question..." For a flavour of the arguments, take a read of this thread.
quesada-general-discussion-f9/does-local-government-spend-more-on-rojales-than-quesada-t41270.html

Essentially some will say everyone who owns a property here in Rojales should register on the padron, as that is your habitual home in Spain and the local area gets central funds based on how many people in its area registered on the padron. That's what Rojales Town hall says too and you'll be welcomed with open arms. Others say you should only sign on padron if you intend to live here all the time, I.e be fully resident all or most of the year round and it is in fact illegal for non residents to sign up. On pain of death, or at least some very stiff fines, should the central authorities decide to crack down. And you say clearly you are non residents, so... In terms of advantages, aside from the fact that the area gets a wee bit more money for you hence more to spend on the area, there are a few things ( eg some townhall organised activities like intercambio etc) that you might need to show a padron for, but otherwise you don't need one. Disadvantages, really just the uncertainty of the dispute i.e you would seem to be taking a personal risk by doing so, if it really is illegal. Though none has yet produced any evidence of people actually being penalised.
Shiva

Postby mondo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:08 am

Perhaps you should just go down to the Town Hall and ask the chap at the desk if you are eligible to sign on the padron. If he says YES, then sign on...

If it is against the law, the judge can hardly fine you for doing what the Town Hall told you to do....And Rojales/Quesada gets a bit more money towards more police and ambulances etc..

mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Paul58 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:10 am

I once considered registering on the padron, even though I spend less than 180 days in Spain per year. My reasoning being that If I accidently spend longer than 90 days on a visit I would be considered legal. However, once signed on the padron you are documented as a spanish resident and as a Spanish resident you can't drive a UK registered car in Spain. :?
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:14 am

Paul58 wrote:I once considered registering on the padron, even though I spend less than 180 days in Spain per year. My reasoning being that If I accidently spend longer than 90 days on a visit I would be considered legal. However, once signed on the padron you are documented as a spanish resident and as a Spanish resident you can't drive a UK registered car in Spain. :?

Don't make things up. Being on the padron does not, ever, no way whatsoever, make you a Spanish resident.

If only it were that easy.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby mondo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:06 pm

marcliff wrote:
Paul58 wrote:I once considered registering on the padron, even though I spend less than 180 days in Spain per year. My reasoning being that If I accidently spend longer than 90 days on a visit I would be considered legal. However, once signed on the padron you are documented as a spanish resident and as a Spanish resident you can't drive a UK registered car in Spain. :?

Don't make things up. Being on the padron does not, ever, no way whatsoever, make you a Spanish resident.

If only it were that easy.

mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Bee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:45 pm

It is the Town Hall who gets fined as far as I know. They have to advise and verify the numbers to the Central Statistics Office. They are supposed to remove you from the Padron Register if you haven't completed your Residencia after a certain length of time. It used to be 3 months. Torrevieja seem to be fairly strict on it now. I presume one of the reasons Torrevieja are strict is that they issue free bus passes to residents so it costs the Town Hall if you are claiming to be resident when you are not.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby willemite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi interesting read about Padron - some say ask the Town Hall if its legal etc. my experience is ‘they tell you what they think you want to hear’ or in the Town Hall case ‘it’s money in their pocket, so I would think their reply would be no problem. If nothing is given in writing, sealed and stamped here to cover yourself in case of future fines - walk away. I always ask my solicitor and it’s in writing. Maybe I’m over cautious. Hope you get sorted soon.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby Shiva » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:52 pm

Well here is the printed leaflet from Rojales Town Hall. It clearly says:"Your registration in the local registry does not make you officially resident in Spain."
Shiva

Postby Lynne1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Residencia is to be a resident.
Padron is at town hall not the same . You can be on padron but DO NOT have to have residencia.
Lynne1

Which part of Spain are you from?: In England,

Next