Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Lidl young woman asking for help

Re: Lidl young woman asking for help

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm

The website is www.reachouttorrevieja.eu I don't think they have a giving page but what a good idea, I'll mention it. Thank you x
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Sage » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:06 pm

There is a lot of discussion about helping the poor & homeless in the UK as well.

Many people prefer to give to the needy directly rather than to a charity but there are problems with both.
* Giving directly to the beggars, one can't always be sure they are genuine.
* Giving to charities can see very high percentages of the donations going on administration and running the charity. In the UK often less than 20% of donations finds its way to helping those in need.....we know this because large charities publish audited accounts.

So, can the people promoting charities here tell us how much of our donations will get used to help the needy ?
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:33 pm

Everybody at Reachout is a volunteer apart from one who is like a UK social worker but it's a pittance that she earns. Please feel free to call the President or secretary who will tell you what you need to know. Obviously rent electric etc had to be paid. Why don't you pop in and see exactly what they do.
Chrisdee

Postby Bee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Chrisdee where is the Reachout shop in Torrevieja. We are always throwing out stuff and just end up putting it by the bin. Thanks

Bee
Bee

Postby Shiva » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Sage wrote:There is a lot of discussion about helping the poor & homeless in the UK as well.

Many people prefer to give to the needy directly rather than to a charity but there are problems with both.
* Giving to charities can see very high percentages of the donations going on administration and running the charity. In the UK often less than 20% of donations finds its way to helping those in need.....we know this because large charities publish audited accounts.

So, can the people promoting charities here tell us how much of our donations will get used to help the needy ?

It's a shame that UK charities with so much going on administration and on dubiously ethical ways of raising money( like paying people to go door to door in quite poor areas to do gift of the gab and heart string pulling to get direct debits signed up, from people who really can't afford it) have done a lot of harm to the reputation of charities.And the big safeguarding scandals too.

Smaller more local charities where you can see a more direct link between giving and the help given are consequently much more appealing. There are a lot of people in and around quesada, torrievieja etc who give their time very generously as volunteers and well done to them . Am not in a position right now to do that myself, but am keen to support local charities when I can. And its very good to know of ones that really help local people like this Reachout one. So thanks to Chrisdee for highlighting it.
Shiva

Postby Sage » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:53 pm

What I'm trying to do is separate the two parts of the charity.
* The emotional side....caring, donating / contributing, helping the needy... with
* The business side.....paying rents, electric, water, taxes, wages and all the other costs.

If you give just a few euros a year either directly or to a charity you might not be overly concerned where the money is spent. You are probably quite happy knowing you are helping someone.

If you contribute a larger amount it makes perfect sense to ensure your donation is going to an organisation thats giving the best value for money.

Does the charity publish any accounts ? I can't see anything on the web site.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:59 am

"The books" has been discussed before about charities in Spain and it's very different to the UK, it isn't as transparent (is that what they say these days?). I don't think any charity publish the accounts but not sure. Reachout always say you are more than welcome to go and look at the books and they will discuss/explain exactly. Hope this makes sense Sage.

Sage wrote:What I'm trying to do is separate the two parts of the charity.
* The emotional side....caring, donating / contributing, helping the needy... with
* The business side.....paying rents, electric, water, taxes, wages and all the other costs.

If you give just a few euros a year either directly or to a charity you might not be overly concerned where the money is spent. You are probably quite happy knowing you are helping someone.

If you contribute a larger amount it makes perfect sense to ensure your donation is going to an organisation thats giving the best value for money.

Does the charity publish any accounts ? I can't see anything on the web site.
Chrisdee

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:06 am

The shop is in Calle Bella Antonia, 1,

It's opposite Iceland in Torrevieja, walk down on the opposite side of the road, on the corner by the lights is a Kebab shop and opposite the pool shop, turn down there (where the Friday market used to be) and it's the 2nd turning on the right and the shop is just down there.

Bee wrote:Chrisdee where is the Reachout shop in Torrevieja. We are always throwing out stuff and just end up putting it by the bin. Thanks

Bee
Chrisdee

Postby GLASSMAN » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:16 am

Shiva wrote:
Sage wrote:There is a lot of discussion about helping the poor & homeless in the UK as well.

It's a shame that UK charities with so much going on administration and on dubiously ethical ways of raising money( like paying people to go door to door in quite poor areas to do gift of the gab and heart string pulling to get direct debits signed up, from people who really can't afford it) have done a lot of harm to the reputation of charities.And the big safeguarding scandals too.

Smaller more local charities where you can see a more direct link between giving and the help given are consequently much more appealing. There are a lot of people in and around quesada, torrievieja etc who give their time very generously as volunteers and well done to them . Am not in a position right now to do that myself, but am keen to support local charities when I can. And its very good to know of ones that really help local people like this Reachout one. So thanks to Chrisdee for highlighting it.
Many years ago I used to do work on a couples house who were high up in working for Oxfam,they lived in a mansion ,drove top of the range cars, and he openly said they were both on mega wages,now that aint doing charity work , like so many good people do!,i personaly give to animal charitys, as its humans who are destroying the world, HO! and getting back to the beggars outsde aldi in Quesada,and the one outside Rojales Mercadona, they are gypsies , I know as they live near bar bacanal,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby A.N.Other » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 am

Vi Robertson wrote:Personally I no longer shop there because of the beggars all dropped of in high value cars.
So you're saying it's Lidl's fault then?
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

PreviousNext