Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Insurance

Insurance

Postby cheflady » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Could anyone advice me please about cancelling home insurance I know it's been covered before but I can't track the info.Can I just phone to cancel or does it need to be a letter? T.I.A Jules
cheflady

Re: Insurance

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:46 pm

I thought you could phone and cancel, email, facebook even, not sure about the last two. YOu are also meant to give a months notice or something like that. if you could email, you then have proof you've told them.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby cheflady » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks Chrisdee not thought of that but makes perfect sense
cheflady

Postby marcliff » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Er, no. You have to cancel the policy in writing within the time frame as laid down in your policy. Many companies, especially banks, will have their own form that you need to complete.

If doing it by post, make sure you have the letter sent by burofax which is a registered letter and the date they receive it will be recorded as will the contents. Most insurances in Spain are automatically renewed (and it will say that in your policy) if not cancelled in the correct way or by the correct date.

If going in person to cancel it, make sure you get a date stamped receipt.

The law changed a few years ago so you now only have to give one month's notice to cancel (used to be two) but that is not one month after you apply, it is one month from when the company receives the written notification of cancellation.
Even if you are just one day late, they may carry on your policy for another year and you will find it impossible to cancel.

Don't rely on emails or a letter as companies often change the office address or their email address etc and you would be unable to prove you did it by the required date (this comes from personal experience with my home insurance with Mapfre, by the way, and I ended up having to pay two lots of home insurance for the year).

A burofax in which Correos gives you a receipt for date and contents (Acuse de Recibo y certificación de texto/copia certificada) or a signed, dated and stamped receipt from the company are what is required.

I have seen it happen several times where emails, letters and phone calls have "gone astray" and people end up paying twice (you won't be insured twice, by the way, so if you need to the companies will split the payout).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mickey Braw » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:08 pm

A great example of one way traffic. The insurance companies require, in reality, in excess of one months notice of cancellation but they rarely give you notice of your renewal premium until a very few weeks prior to renewal, thus taking your option to change, away from you.
Mickey Braw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Madcatwoman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 pm

I have just cancelled my life insurance policy through Sabadell. Dont know if the same rules apply with home insurance but I had to give 2 months notice and did it direct by phone. Didnt have to sign any forms and received a confirmation letter from them cancelling my policy within a week. Just contact the bank to ask and they should tell you how to do it.
Madcatwoman

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta

Postby Bee » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:42 pm

I have just done it and I was advised by an Insurance agent to send a signed letter of cancellation together with a copy of passport(as we are non resident) and to give one month's notice. She also advised me to send a copy of the correspondence to our bank as well to make sure they didn't honour the annual direct debit when it falls due. I did it all by email and had a return acknowledgement from the company.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja