Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

The euro to the pound.

The euro to the pound.

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:19 pm

I am flying over to Torrevieja next Saturday and checked to see what the exchange rate was like. It isn’t bad at all! I was wondering how all the posters who detest the Tory government and Boris feel now that their pound has strengthened and they have more money in their pockets. It will hopefully get better and better once our economy gets a chance to grow. It is wonderful for those of us whose pensions are paid in pounds but not so good if we decide to sell our properties in Spain. You win some, you lose some. Swings and roundabouts. For me, I love the fact that everything I pay for in Spain is technically discounted by 15% so when we go out for a meal, it becomes a lot less than the prices shown!

All of that said, the cost of a meal out is such good value at the best of times.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Re: The euro to the pound.

Postby marcliff » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 pm

The pound has strengthened? It was 1.20 a little while back with the optimism when Boris took over. Has now dropped to what it was before Boris took over (1.17).
And please don't do what others do and equate exchange rates to "detest the Tory government and Boris" as it simply shows a trolling attitude to try and get a rise.
It's things like that that spoil the forum along with starting new threads on an old topic.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:37 pm

No insult intended at all. I was simply wondering that is all.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Benjy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Isn’t bad? Ex pats and everyone that is dependent on the exchange rate are still losing more than 130 for every thousand exchanged (13%) that is on top of the thousands lost in the last 3 1/2 years due solely to the Brexit vote.
Benjy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Murcia

Postby Steve4878 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Mac3blade, I dont quite understand the comment that technically everything is 15% discounted, so 15% less than advertised?

I am with you that its good the pound is looking better, just not sure on the 15% discount against advertised bit.
Steve4878

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bennimar

Postby Dave c » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:25 pm

The £ has not strengthened against the euro and when the markets realise Boris wants a no deal brexit it will fall further.
Dave c

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:54 pm

See? Told you so!
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Glassfull » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:05 pm

We bought in December 2015 at €1.34 to the pound. Friends of ours bought in 2002 at €1.64. So dramatic fluctuations do occur in exchange rates, outside of major disasters
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Benjy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Yes glassfull currency’s do fluctuate, but not as dramatically or to the extent of this current fall unless triggered by something as catastrophic for the country’s economy such as leaving the EU.
Benjy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Murcia

Postby cheflady » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Oh dear Marcliff I'm staying out of it I didn't realize the can of worms it opened !!
cheflady

Next