Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Recommendations for Canon printer repairs please

Recommendations for Canon printer repairs please

Postby Paulr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a local shop or computer hardware engineer who could check out my Canon multi-function printer please? It's only 10 months old and used no more than a couple of times a week.

I thought it had a problem with the paper feed roller, as it struggles to pick up the paper and on the odd occasions it feeds, it just jams inside the printer. I followed the routines for cleaning the feed roller, but that didn't help; however, when I did a photocopy, instead of printing a document, it worked perfectly! I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could sort this out.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Re: Recommendations for Canon printer repairs please

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 pm

Under guarantee? Perhaps ask where you bought it from, see if they can help.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby jpeg » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:04 am

2 year guarantee if bought in Spain
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Dinkelharper » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:43 am

Have you tried different paper? Some lower priced (lower quality) paper jams easily. They tend to stick together. Also, don’t fill it too much, maybe half or so.
Dinkelharper

Which part of Spain are you from?: Elche

Postby Paulr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks for your responses, guys. As I explained, the paper feeds perfectly when photocopying, but not on printing, so paper quality is unlikely to be the issue. As I'm not sure that the printer is actually faulty, I was hoping someone could recommend a local engineer, who would know from my description what the problem is and suggest a fix, e.g. update the firmware, or whatever. I had thought there was someone in Benijofar, but I don't know where. Unless anyone else knows of someone, I guess I'll have to go back to the shop. Thanks anyway and happy new year!
Paulr

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm

I suspect there is no such thing as a local printer fixer.

Cost-wise it doesn't add up many of these home printers can cost €50-€150. The average hourly cost of a certified technician, €50-€80 per hour.

If it's not working and not under warranty - apart from asking 'someone you know' to give it a quick once over, they are simply designed to be disposable. Cost more for a technician to look at it & fix it, than it would replace (obviously not in all instances - but you get the idea).

Apparently there was a time when things were built to last. Now they are built to last the length of the warranty :!:
Paul - TV Techie

Which part of Spain are you from?: almoradi, alicante

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Take it back to the shop, it's still under guarantee, as long as you have the receipt.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paulr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks Paul. I understand what you're saying - the printer only cost Eu 55, but it's less than 3 months old and that just doesn't sit well with me. I contacted Canon UK for support and they suggested a couple of things - running the print head clean routine, with and without paper, and downloading the latest printer drivers, but still no joy.

Odd, really, but if this had happened in the UK, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to the shop - I have the receipt - but because it's Spain, I don't feel like dealing with the inevitable, unresponsive customer service from the retailer, for the sake of Eu 55. I just can't bring myself to put a printer, that's less than 3 months old, in the bin. Perhaps my question should have been, "Any techie type want a practically new printer for free to play around with?" :lol:
Paulr

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:17 am

Paulr wrote:Thanks Paul. I understand what you're saying - the printer only cost Eu 55, but it's less than 3 months old and that just doesn't sit well with me. I contacted Canon UK for support and they suggested a couple of things - running the print head clean routine, with and without paper, and downloading the latest printer drivers, but still no joy.

Odd, really, but if this had happened in the UK, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to the shop - I have the receipt - but because it's Spain, I don't feel like dealing with the inevitable, unresponsive customer service from the retailer, for the sake of Eu 55. I just can't bring myself to put a printer, that's less than 3 months old, in the bin. Perhaps my question should have been, "Any techie type want a practically new printer for free to play around with?" :lol:

I do sympathise entirely.

3 months old etc - it is under warranty, so the shop, if local are obliged to fix. The question may end up being, how much of your time is €55 worth & of course how much time you have on your hands. I'd offer to play around with it myself, but know only too well how these things play out, having wasted hours myself trying to fix office printers.

If it's a small local shop - Euronics and the like, its probably worth going back there - but having sat there in Carrefour once or twice, queuing for support, I have found to sometimes be a long/painful experience.

I hate to be dismissive when it comes to these things, but sometimes (not always) it can be more trouble than its worth.
Paul - TV Techie

Which part of Spain are you from?: almoradi, alicante

Postby PeteKnight » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 am

The fact that it works okay when copying but not when printing tells me that there is probably an issue with your printer settings in your computer when printing.
The copy process is a self-contained one that manages the paper settings automatically. When you print (from Windows presumably?) there are lots of options about paper size and type, some of which are specific to the installed printer driver, and some generic to Windows.

Take a careful look to ensure that you have your document paper size set to A4, and the printer driver settings set to the same size. Then look at the paper type in the printer driver settings and ensure that you are using a generic 80gsm plain paper stock in those settings.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Next