Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Dubai plans Cancelled

Dubai plans Cancelled

Postby Sage » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:53 pm

That's my holiday plans for Dubai this year cancelled.
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office have issued advice.
Could be Gulf War 3 on its way.

The Iranians will retaliate.....if that involves blocking the Straits of Homuz, if for only for a couple of days, the oil price will rise and so will fuel. A quarter of the total world oil consumption passes through there.....so a blockade is likely to be bad news for all of us.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: Dubai plans Cancelled

Postby mondo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:57 pm

War is never good news...if indeed that happens,,
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 pm

More and more countries are getting crossed off my holiday list
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby jamiep » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:55 pm

We were going to go to egypt in may but will have to rethink

So volatile in that area not worth the risk at the moment
jamiep

Postby PeteKnight » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm

I was in Dubai when the US launched its “Shock and Awe” offensive at the start of the 2nd Guif War. The local Air Force base went on high alert, and cancelled some non-military activities that we were involved with there, but otherwise it was life as normal.
The FCO advice is currently to be vigilant, which is good advice wherever you happen to be in the world.

If you have links or allegiances with Qatar, or maybe even a Qatari stamp in your passport, then it’s a different story and the UAE may refuse entry, as diplomatic relations between the two countries have been severed.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Sage » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:22 pm

I was living & working in Germany during the 1st Gulf War. Our kids were in private school with a group that included Americans who were the kids of the American Embassy officials. They were picked up & dropped off every day by the school bus.

My company were so concerned that the bus might be the subject of an opportunist terrorist attack that they offered all of the wives a car each so they could take the kids to school individually.

We had a senior American Army guy give us a few lessons/talks on security issues just in case things got lively.

Fortunately all the action remained in the Gulf.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby TonTri » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm

PeteKnight wrote:I was in Dubai when the US launched its “Shock and Awe” offensive at the start of the 2nd Guif War. The local Air Force base went on high alert, and cancelled some non-military activities that we were involved with there, but otherwise it was life as normal.
The FCO advice is currently to be vigilant, which is good advice wherever you happen to be in the world.

If you have links or allegiances with Qatar, or maybe even a Qatari stamp in your passport, then it’s a different story and the UAE may refuse entry, as diplomatic relations between the two countries have been severed.

Pete.

Ooh-er, I didn't know that about UAE and Qatar. I'm flying with Qatar Airways in 4 weeks time to Cape Town with a stop over in Doha. I also flew with them in 2018 so will have had a Qatari stamp in my passport, fortunately I've renewed it since then. I better not plan on going to Dubai any time in the near future then
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 am

If you’ve renewed your passport since then you should be okay, provided you haven’t posted on Facebook to say how nice you thought Qatar was (not that that’s likely from my time there!)....

“The UAE authorities announced on 7 June 2017 that showing sympathy for Qatar on social media or by any other means of communication is an offence. Offenders could be imprisoned and subject to a substantial fine.”

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... b-emirates

Pete.
PeteKnight

Postby TonTri » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:44 am

Yes but my new passport will be stamped when I go next month ;). Fortunately I don't have any plans to go to UAE though.

And no I'm not likely to say anything nice about Qatar even though we had an enforced overnight stop over as the flights missed connections. The hotel was mediocre but the temperatures were in the 40's and we didn't have a change of clothes so had UK autumn clothing on and couldn't go anywhere as a) it was too hot and b) we didn't have any local currency. I'll be prepared this time!
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PeteKnight » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:42 am

I spent a couple of weeks there doing some IT work for a bank. It wasn’t my idea of fun, but then again I don’t really know what people see in the UAE.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Next