Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Cost of tiling in Spain

Re: Cost of tiling in Spain

Postby Des » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:57 am

For information, Max Quaterman (Superhod) at his peak earned £1500 a week which at the time was more than the Prime Minister Harold Wilson, bought a Rolls and went on to become a multi millionaire through property development.
Des

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:35 am

R have you thought about paying the tiler's fare and giving free accommodation plus the €15 per sq mtr and bring the tiler over to Spain.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:45 am

Yes, Bee , the thought did cross my mind but both he and his wife appear to be well off and live in a beautiful house built on his father’s land. I’m not sure if I was charged his top rate as he keeps pedigree Texel sheep and met up somewhere with my son in law and they became firm friends. At the time, he dropped other work to come to me and did a superb job.
Bee, have you seen the price of flights recently? Ryanair don’t fly from a Belfast to Alicante anymore so our choice is limited. EasyJet and later on Jet2. No cheap flights...possibly cheap going out but top end for return.
I booked 3 return flights last week and spent over £1000. ( EasyJet plus is due in March and that will be another £432). No point in crying, we had it too good for too long!
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Bee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:54 am

Yes I notice Ryanair flights are a lot more expensive than last year from all the southern airports. Aer Lingus are cheaper on some fares which has never been the case. Looks like you will have to find a tiler in the general area of Torrevieja.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Allanm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi. Be careful when picking someone to do the tiling , I have seen some nice looking ....On the surface of things ...jobs done by Spaniards ...including my house for a job on my sun terrace , which I didn’t have time to do myself ..the Spanish ..”Dot n Dab “ the tile cement , by that , I mean they do not put adhesive on the full tile . This leaves hollow areas behind the tiles , and that can be heard when you chap the tile , you get a hollow sound . That in turn means, that if you bang the tile at the hollow bit ...you break the tile ...and that is not good ,obviously if all the tiles are the same , then you can be expecting to have a lot of broken tiles ,which you ll have to replace in the future , and it’s not easy to remove these broken tiles to replace them . I did other work for a woman , but stopped when I noticed floor tiles laid in the dot n dab fashion , I actually dropped a screwdriver and broke one of the tiles , which would not have happened had there been more adhesive under the tile .. as I did not want to be blamed for another person s bad work .and I walked away from the job . As I did not want my reputation to be ruined through another person s faults ...so be careful
As a footnote , I tiled my bathroom , my en suite and kitchen floor to ceiling , and have many pictures of my work ,I am very particular , and don’t do bad work ...I am messy tho :-) but very nice and very good job ... Also tiled my full floor in the bottom of my house ...60 square metres ...so just giving you a heads up for the future , please be careful when choosing your tiled ...speed is not the key factor ,... the finished item is worth waiting for ..good luck
I would offer my services to you , but would need someone to labour with me , As tiles are very heavy in a box , and my back won’t do as much as you need .although I could do the job at a much less figure than most ...just a thôught :-)
Allanm

Which part of Spain are you from?: Petrer

Postby marcliff » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Allanm wrote:Hi. Be careful when picking someone to do the tiling , I have seen some nice looking ....On the surface of things ...jobs done by Spaniards ...including my house for a job on my sun terrace , which I didn’t have time to do myself ..the Spanish ..”Dot n Dab “ the tile cement , by that , I mean they do not put adhesive on the full tile . This leaves hollow areas behind the tiles , and that can be heard when you chap the tile , you get a hollow sound . That in turn means, that if you bang the tile at the hollow bit ...you break the tile ...and that is not good ,obviously if all the tiles are the same , then you can be expecting to have a lot of broken tiles ,which you ll have to replace in the future , and it’s not easy to remove these broken tiles to replace them . I did other work for a woman , but stopped when I noticed floor tiles laid in the dot n dab fashion , I actually dropped a screwdriver and broke one of the tiles , which would not have happened had there been more adhesive under the tile .. as I did not want to be blamed for another person s bad work .and I walked away from the job . As I did not want my reputation to be ruined through another person s faults ...so be careful
As a footnote , I tiled my bathroom , my en suite and kitchen floor to ceiling , and have many pictures of my work ,I am very particular , and don’t do bad work ...I am messy tho :-) but very nice and very good job ... Also tiled my full floor in the bottom of my house ...60 square metres ...so just giving you a heads up for the future , please be careful when choosing your tiled ...speed is not the key factor ,... the finished item is worth waiting for ..good luck
I would offer my services to you , but would need someone to labour with me , As tiles are very heavy in a box , and my back won’t do as much as you need .although I could do the job at a much less figure than most ...just a thôught :-)

Not sure you can tar all Spanish tilers in the same way. Our house, built by Euromarina, was like you mentioned and just 3 dabs of adhesive per tile.
When we had our bathroom re-tiled, a local builder from Benijofar tut tutted and I could hear a few swear words about the bad workmanship and the wrong adhesive used for marble. He and his mate cemented each wall before placing the tiles and there is now no hollow sound when you tap them, unlike the downstairs loo which are still the Euromarina original
it was certainly much less that €40 a square metre as well.
Don't know the name of the builder, sorry, as they were sent by Don De when we had the bathroom re-done.
But the building work was half the floor (about 6 sq metres), removal of bath, removal of bidet, capping floor and walls where taps had been for both and re-tiling two walls (about 20 sq metres) plus round the toilet in marble and the whole lot came to €1000 including the provision of the tiles. We had to wait over a week whilst the builder sourced tiles to match but did an excellent job when he found them.
Oh, and two lads were constantly sweeping up, wiping down dust from the areas including the doors and vacuuming with an industrial cleaner to make sure it was all up.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Ronnie112 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Des wrote:For information, Max Quaterman (Superhod) at his peak earned £1500 a week which at the time was more than the Prime Minister Harold Wilson, bought a Rolls and went on to become a multi millionaire through property development.

He was a subcontractor who employed good bricklayer he didn't earn that money on his own my friend used to sub work from him.
Ronnie112

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Previous