Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Buying a house after Brexit in Spain

Buying a house after Brexit in Spain

Postby elizajane » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi....i am going round in circles regarding residencia in Spain after the brexit date! We want to buy a house (permanent home) in Quesada and I had the understanding that up to 31st December (the transition date) nothing changed regarding applying for residence but after speaking to the head honcho in a solicitors firm he has advised us not to buy as he doesnt know what the new criteria is for applying for residence! I have read all sorts of government sites which still leads me to believe we can move to Spain now, no problem! Anybody buying a house now and has heard anything different?
elizajane

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Buying a house after Brexit in Spain

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:32 pm

I think you need a new solicitor!

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Shiva » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:53 pm

PeteKnight wrote:I think you need a new solicitor!

Pete.

Totally agree. I would recommend SGM Abogados, who can also arrange getting your residency etc. You'll see many recommendations for them on the forum... https://sgmlegalspain.com/
Shiva

Postby marcliff » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 pm

National Police stations are still accepting appointments for UK citizens to apply for residency. If you use the UK citizens option then Alicante province has appointments available as does Murcia.

As PeteKnight says, change solicitors.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby sawasdee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 pm

I can thoroughly recommend speaking to one way services (one-way-services.com) based in central Quesada. Matt Jayne and Craig are brilliant. They're from the UK but all speak fluent Spanish and their entire business is based around helping folk obtain nie numbers, padrons, residencia, Spanish driving licences, permanent health sip cards or health insurance etc so they can help you with all aspects of settling in Spain. They go every day to the town hall, police etc to obtain all the above so know the staff in those offices very well and speaking Spanish can smooth through the process and any issues. You can do some of the work yourself but the Spanish are notorious for changing some of the criteria at a moment's notice. The day one way took me to get my residencia they changed the criteria and potentially I wasn't compliant but because one way knew the staff well all worked out fine. Had I been there on my own with my pigeon Spanish the outcome might have been different.
sawasdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Edthassos » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 am

I totally agree with Shiva's comment SGM are brilliant.
Edthassos

Postby cheflady » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:26 pm

Shiva is correct SGM in Benijofer were fantastic! Andrea made our house buying a very smooth process
cheflady

Postby stedy1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:15 pm

I have been with one way services in Quesada since I came to Spain and can recommend them.
They got my NIE for me and have advised and helped me get my a Padrón

And I now have a residencia appointment for this month they will take me to that and represent me at the appointment.

As the other poster said they all speak fluent Spanish and deal with the residencia etc every day
stedy1

Postby Mickey Braw » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 pm

I too can recommend Craig at One Way Services. They’ve registered cars for me. No problem. I went with Craig to Cartagena to change my licence. Craig was obviously well known by the staff at the licence place and they clearly pushed us through the process really quickly.
Sensible price too.
Mickey Braw

Postby Shiva » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm

I would just flag that although One Way Services provide a range of services that help you deal with paperwork in Spain , and could help you with residency etc, they are not solicitors and so can't help you with the house buying process. Given the current solicitor you have is apparently so ill informed I'd be reluctant to trust them with anything... you really need to get your own different one.... ( and certainly not one recommended by the selling agent, you want your own.)
Shiva

Next