Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Face masks

Re: Face masks

Postby GrahamR » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:34 pm

I use face masks in the UK, but only because it seems to help stop the hay fever whilst I am cutting the grass.
But a couple of things of interest:
1) I think I paid about £10 at Amazon for a box of 40 a few years ago and still have half of them left. Now it is hard to get them and those that do sell them have jacked up the price by 600%.
2) The reason I know, is because my old boss was over from Hong Kong with his wife two weeks ago and a group of us met up in Chinatown, London for a dinner. When I tell anyone they seem to take a step back. He asked me if I could get some for the people back at the office in HK. As you probably know, many Hong Kong people wear the masks anyway, but now they cannot get them.
3) A company I used to arrange the shipping for, supply the NHS and told me most of the face masks are actually manufactured in Wuhan, where the virus is thought to have emanated.
If people in the UK are going to start wearing face masks, then somebody in going to have to show them how to put them on.
GrahamR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Everyone should wear face masks. They won’t stop you catching corona virus, but if you have corona virus then a mask will help catch particles of mucus and saliva and help prevent you from spreading it to others.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Sage » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:46 pm

PeteKnight wrote:Everyone should wear face masks. They won’t stop you catching corona virus, but if you have corona virus then a mask will help catch particles of mucus and saliva and help prevent you from spreading it to others.

Pete.

That's not entirely true Peter.
Fact : You can pick up the virus on your hands. You can then infect yourself by touching your mouth, nose or eyes. Wearing a mask reduces the risk of you touching those parts of your face. So, wearing a mask will HELP to reduce the risk of contracting the virus.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 pm

They looked at me and the missus a bit odd when we went up the Nan Kin the other night:

two astro.jpg
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Babu » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:01 pm

marcliff wrote:They looked at me and the missus a bit odd when we went up the Nan Kin the other night:

two astro.jpg

ooooh . . .where can I get them from?, flying over at weekend, going through 2 airports and an aircraft with breathing people on . . . . . do they come with inbuilt oxygen supply????
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 pm

Sage wrote:
PeteKnight wrote:Everyone should wear face masks. They won’t stop you catching corona virus, but if you have corona virus then a mask will help catch particles of mucus and saliva and help prevent you from spreading it to others.

Pete.

That's not entirely true Peter.
Fact : You can pick up the virus on your hands. You can then infect yourself by touching your mouth, nose or eyes. Wearing a mask reduces the risk of you touching those parts of your face. So, wearing a mask will HELP to reduce the risk of contracting the virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) don't recommend the use of face masks for people who are trying to protect themselves, but recommend that they should be worn by those who are infected:

• CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

But, what do they know?

Pete.
PeteKnight

Postby Sage » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Peter,
Wearing a mask isn't compulsory and if you don't want to wear one it's your choice. I will choose to wear one because I believe that it reduces my risk of infection through touching eyes, nose and mouth. Anything that reduces risk can only be considered as beneficial.

Therefore it follows that contrary to what you have posted, in some cases, wearing a mask can help to stop you from catching the Corona Virus.
Sage

Postby Anniep » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 pm

A doctor interviewed this morning said the masks are no good, the only effective masks are the kind worn by the army with the charcoal filters that cover the face, as said earlier the virus is microscopic and could enter through the eyes anyway. My friend was flying from Barcelona airport tonight and lots of people (mostly Chinese) were wearing them,
Anniep

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu

Postby PeteKnight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:06 pm

As I said, I'm all in favour of everyone wearing masks, as it slows the spread of the disease by containing droplets from those people who are infected.

If you think that a mask will reduce the contact between your hands and you eyes, nose and mouth then by all means wear one for preventative reasons - as I said, the more people who wear them the better in my book.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Postby Sage » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Having had the chance to read the information contained on the CDC web site.....I find the Corona Virus information contained on it somewhat ambiguous.
Sage

PreviousNext