Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Face masks

Re: Face masks

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:26 am

Maybe the WHO is a more credible and unambiguous organisation then?

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Sage » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:29 am

Peter,
You are still missing the point so let me try one last time.

You have said that wearing a mask will not stop people catching the virus and you are referencing the CDC and WHO to support your view.....that's the bit I disagree with.

The CDC and WHO web sites are publishing contradictory messages. They agree that people should not touch their eyes, mouth or nose but do not support the wearing of a mask......which would massively reduce the risk of touching the face and catching the virus.

There have already been mistakes in how this virus outbreak has been handled and those organisations could do better.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby PeteKnight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 am

I’m sure that CDC and the WHO will welcome your feedback about how they could do better, but I don’t think that they regularly monitor this forum. Maybe you should share your concerns about their performance and your thoughts on how they can improve directly with them?

As I’ve already said, if you think that wearing a mask will reduce your hand to eyes/nose/mouth contact then go for it - the more mask wearers the better in my book. However, I’d encourage you to do the following...

1) Think about how a mask that covers just your nose and mouth will reduce hand to eye contact

2) Observe any person who doesn’t regularly wear a mask, and see how much hand to mask action is taking place and compare this with someone who isn’t wearing a mask. I think you’ll see a marked increase in mask wearers.

3) Consider wether the mask acts as an effective filter against bacteria, or whether it simply acts as a convenient place where you can deposit bacteria (when you do the hand to mask thing) so that you can continue to breathe it in over an extended period of time.

The bottom line is that masks help catch droplets that are propelled into the atmosphere when the wearer coughs or sneezes.
The paper masks don’t prevent the bacteria passing through the mask, so anything deposited on the outside of the mask will go into your lungs, unless it’s made up of large particles such as sawdust. Having the mask there can actually be more harmful, as it may encourage you to fiddle with it more and if you do deposit bacteria on the outside of the mask then it could increase your exposure because you are breathing it in constantly. Only high-end biohazard filtration systems will prevent bacteria passing through them.

The best prevention is to use a hand sanitiser so that when you do touch your face/mask there’s nothing on your hands to actually deposit there.

One other thing - if you use a mobile phone then think about how clean that is. People tend to put phones down on tables & seats, in bags an pockets etc. Parents let children plat with them, and often they are in cases that trap all sorts of nasty things. They don’t lend themselves to being sanitised easily, and you hold them up to your face without a second thought. Changing the way you use your phone, and possibly using Bluetooth headphones, may be the biggest single preventative action you can take.

I won’t comment further on this topic (which I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear) as I don’t think it’s getting us anywhere.

Stay well.

Pete.
PeteKnight

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Rhaphanidosis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 am

31656.jpg
Rhaphanidosis

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Superduper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:46 am

Why bother with a face mask which will do little to protect you anyway? And certainly why buy into this mass hysteria caused by the media for something less deadly than the flu? A utter panic frenzy which has locked down entire cities, stopped sporting events and closed schools. Maybe extra attention should be directed at the labs which cook these things up instead.

However if you want to reduce your risk of getting sick, whether that be of this (patented) coronovirus, the flu, or something else.......work to improve your immune system. The best form of defence available. A healthy diet with sensible whole food supplementation. Of course there's nothing wrong with sensible hygiene practices too.

Or you could go and live in a plastic bubble while nothing gets done because every body is sh*tting themselves.
Superduper

Postby Superduper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Found this which was allegedly taken from 2017. How prophetic (or not).
Superduper

Postby Sage » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Press reports say it's arrived in Tenerife and the first case has now been reported in mainland Spain.

Lots of press reports today about mishandling, misreporting, conflicting information/instructions by the UK Gov't and other bodies.

Big problem with self employed some of whom won't self isolate because they don't get paid.

Some UK schools handling the issue appallingly with pupils returning from northern Italy trips.

Etc, etc, etc.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Anniep » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:40 am

Hand washing is on eod the best effective ways of staying healthy, as we are flying g soon I wanted to buy some sanitizer hand gel to use ( it’s a fact that sawxipurity trays in airports are a harbinger of germs) so wanted to have gel at the ready, Hiwvwer it’s sold out at the 4 chemists I tried today! The girl said they had an order. And it went in a day! Another chemist said there is a general shortage of the gel and of facemsks, so if you want either and you see it buy it as both are getting harder to find!
Anniep

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu

Postby janlesaint » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 pm

We were told recently that the masks won't stop you catching the virus as they are designed to help prevent your germs infecting others, not the other way around. Best advice so far is to wash your hands frequently.
janlesaint

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bigastro

Postby Superduper » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:06 pm

Check out Max Igan's channel "thecrowhouse" on youtube. That's some food for thought.
Superduper

PreviousNext