Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Face masks

Face masks

Postby John M » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi all

I see more and more people wearing face masks.

We have been trying to purchase some for a few weeks, mainly because my Wife had a transplant a few years ago.

I have tried every chemist in the area loads of times and the DIY outlets. Managed to get one from the doctors.

Could any of the forum members recommend any where.

John M
John M

Which part of Spain are you from?: L/ Marabu/Dona Pepa

Re: Face masks

Postby Jillandsteve » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Most medical experts say they’re of no use unless they’re made for medical use as the virus can penetrate standard issue masks
Plus, they’re supposed to be useful only to those infected
Jillandsteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby ros4111 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Hello:

If you can demonstrate with evidences that your wife is in this conditions I think you can get some from a chemist . One friend told me the experience of his friend, that only could get 3 from a chimist because he had the documents to prove that his wife was in danger.

If you just go and ask for them sure you will get nothing.

The best she can do is to stay at home 100% of the time, and the same for you. When you return from the street wash your hand very good.

Regards.
ros4111

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby John M » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi

Will try the chemist with paperwork tomorrow.

She has to fly back to the UK in April for her bloods to be tested so staying in is a no starter.

Thanks for the help.
John M

Postby A.N.Other » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:44 am

If your wife has an EHIC and the blood test is deemed essential as opposed to simply routine then she should be able to present herself at a public hospital or clinic and have it done. There are also private hospitals and clinics where you can simply pay for whatever it is you want or need.

Thats how it would work in normal times anyway but of course these are anything but normal and as hard as it is to say, and this applies to both Spain and UK, with resources stretched to and beyond breaking point very clearly health services are necessarily focussed on those most in need and where your wife sits on that scale I wouldn't like to even guess.

I'd say in the circumstances though trying to get what she needs catered for in Spain would be a far less risky option than the opportunities for exposure and infection attempting to fly back to UK would present but that's something only you can weigh up.

I agree with the comments re masks and the general medical opinion seems to be that they offer very limited protection. Yes we see all the nurses and doctors wearing them but don't forget they are dealing with patients who are infected and likely coughing all over the place so of course they need to do all they can to protect themselves from airborne particles resulting from that, for the public social distancing and hand washing remain the best defence and of course strict self isolation by those at higher risk.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby John M » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:54 am

Thank you for the help, I will pass this to my wife after sleep in, Saturday treat.

John M
John M

Postby TonTri » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:29 am

John M wrote:Hi

She has to fly back to the UK in April for her bloods to be tested so staying in is a no starter.

Thanks for the help.

You might find you can't get a flight back in April. My flight booked for the 22nd was cancelled by Vueling and I've had to rebook for May 2nd, as they've stopped all flights for all of April. I'm not sure about the other airlines though, best check.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby anthomo16 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:39 am

I sympathize re face-masks, I too am due to fly (if not cancelled) next Thursday and more worried about being at the Airport and on board, I have COPD and really want a face-mask just for this reason even tho it will only give me minor coverage it is some help. Looks like I will have to make my own.
anthomo16

Which part of Spain are you from?: ciudad quesada

Postby glovers » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:53 pm

You can easily just use a scarf over nose and mouth if you feel safer using a mask
glovers

Which part of Spain are you from?: miragolf, Quesada

Postby mark&denise » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:01 am

John M wrote:Hi

Thanks for the help.

Hi sorry to say no flights showing on jet 2 or Ryanair until May this was to east midlands
mark&denise

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Next