Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving to Calais on Spanish plates

Re: Driving to Calais on Spanish plates

Postby GLASSMAN » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 am

if a English resident cant drive his Spanish owed car in uk, why not drive to nearest car hire firm at the chunnel,park up ,hire a car carry on journey to uk, am sure you can drive a French hire car in uk ,as plenty seem to ,French drive uk hire cars in uk,it may be pricey tho,
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby iant » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 am

You can take your spanish reg car to the UK. What you can't do is keep it there after a set period of time if you are a UK resident. In this persons case he will not have a problem as he said he has residencia. My friend has just done the same as he wants to and had no problems when he was stopped. Just make sure you have the paperwork that has been mentioned previously. Good luck if you go.
iant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Central Quesada

Postby oadbyman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Are you planning to return before France opens up?

That may be a problem.

Some Hotels are open in France so if you plan your journey should be no problem, we travel home through France as the lock down came into force Hotel did not do Food in France. We had prepared brioche cooked meats cheese and of course a travel kettle for Tea and Coffee.

I have advice on speed cameras as they are set very tight (PM me) and in three years I have had tickets on 80 km roads for 86 km, and I do drive carefully, on these roads it would be easy to do 100 km.

Best of luck
oadbyman

Which part of Spain are you from?: North Nottingham

Postby A.N.Other » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm

If your place of residence is Spain then it's possible you could find yourself stopped and turned back before you get anywhere near the border.

If the trip is as urgent as stated then I'll hazard a guess that it will be on the motorways in which case 80km speed limits will not be a concern.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby oadbyman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:18 pm

A.N.Other wrote:If your place of residence is Spain then it's possible you could find yourself stopped and turned back before you get anywhere near the border.

If the trip is as urgent as stated then I'll hazard a guess that it will be on the motorways in which case 80km speed limits will not be a concern.

But there are lot of speed cameras on other roads including Motorways with all different speed limits.

It is impossible to drive from the Costa Blanca to Calais only on motorways, unless you sleep in service area car parks and refuel with the most expensive fuel ie service station fuel, and you have little choice of your route.

Even in the circumstances described I would choose my route carefully, the right route may take 2 hours longer but save the best part of 100€
oadbyman

Postby Big Wheeler » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:40 pm

The appropriate French government website advises of all fixed speed camera sites per department.Further general reading will give you more general information such as tolerances.Their speed cameras are not a hi vis yellow box,they can be anything innocuous near a road from a concrete block to a black pole.I am told that mobile speed traps are also frequent.Remember all governments have a lot of money to recoup so it's going to be easy targets first.
Big Wheeler

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Glassfull » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Being caught speeding is nearly impossible if you follow this tip.

The Authorities kindly put posts up, by the side of the roads and Motorways. On it, is a big metal disc, it’s mainly white but has a red perimeter. Within the white part, is a number in black. That’s a clue to the maximum speed for that following section of road.
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby polop » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Glassfull wrote:Being caught speeding is nearly impossible if you follow this tip.

The Authorities kindly put posts up, by the side of the roads and Motorways. On it, is a big metal disc, it’s mainly white but has a red perimeter. Within the white part, is a number in black. That’s a clue to the maximum speed for that following section of road.

Excellent :text-goodpost:
polop

Which part of Spain are you from?: La finca

Postby Hanz » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:31 pm

I,tried to get back to Germany, but got turned back at the French border check,so back in Quesada now
Hanz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby oadbyman » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:44 am

Glassfull wrote:Being caught speeding is nearly impossible if you follow this tip.

I assume your clever post is regarding posts on this thread regarding speed cameras in France, these posts advise to drive both safely and avoid unnecessary speeding tickets, I hope drivers already know the information your post tries to imparts. Let me correct you it is impossible, not nearly impossible, that is in country's that have the described signs at every change of speed limit.

France does not have the described signs at every change of speed limit. France has wide open straight roads with no traffic do not help you control your speed, even without lock down, anyone crossing France need to be aware.

Big Wheeler wrote:The appropriate French government website advises of all fixed speed camera sites per department.Further general reading will give you more general information such as tolerances.Their speed cameras are not a hi vis yellow box,they can be anything innocuous near a road from a concrete block to a black pole.I am told that mobile speed traps are also frequent.
Remember all governments have a lot of money to recoup so it's going to be easy targets first.

Yes all this information is correct and if you can collate it all for a journey across France it may help but it may take longer that the journey, speed camera do follow signs maybe miles later on either side of the road.

I think your last sentence of your post may be very pertinent for all journeys once lock downs are lifted.

Moettennis go safely and lets hope the situation in the end avoids travel with its pitfalls, but if you need to go you are allowed to travel.
oadbyman

PreviousNext