Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving to Calais on Spanish plates

Driving to Calais on Spanish plates

Postby Moettennis » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Has anyone driven on Spanish plates through France to the euro tunnel since lockdown? We have a family medical emergency that needs our support. We have a property in UK and UK passports but have Spanish reg car as we have residencia. Have been unable to get through to the embassy for advice? Any advice would me much appreciated. Thank you.
Moettennis

Which part of Spain are you from?: El raso

Re: Driving to Calais on Spanish plates

Postby Big Wheeler » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:34 pm

This has been covered in another recent post.You will need to download an "attestation" date stamped and signed at the border.You can expect frequent checks in France.You will need proof of your reason for travel in France and Spain.Driving in Spain has been covered in recent posts too.Finally you may struggle for a ferry crossing because ships are only carrying freight as far as I know.
Big Wheeler

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Pedro52 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I’ve been thinking of doing the same. If you go on the Eurotunnel site, they appear to be operating and also give advice on the documentation you need to get through France.( in French & English) Also check out the FCO/ Gov.Uk site and enter Spain and returning to UK. In addition to passports you will need proof of address in UK, channel tunnel booking confirmation and anything else that justifies your journey as essential.
Also, don’t forget to check your car insurance covers you ( Green Card) and breakdown cover is still operational and to what extent, I.e. how far will they take you in the event that the problem cannot be fixed at roadside.
Not sure the ferries are still operating.
Also, not sure you will find any accommodation open en route to break your journey?
Good luck.!
Pedro52

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby PGA » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Are you planning on sleeping in the car?
PGA

Postby Moettennis » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Thank you all - yes we will have to sleep in the car enroute not ideal but needs to be done - we are just concerned we might get turned back if they do not deem it ‘essential travel’ as that is very vague? Have messaged the embassy to see if they can send us something too. Have printed the forms too but would prefer some certainty that it will be ok? Anxious times.
Moettennis

Which part of Spain are you from?: El raso

Postby jcee » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:25 pm

As I understand the law here in Spain, your are only allowed to travel across Spain and France to return to your place of
'Primary Habitual Residence'. If, as you state, you have residencia here you can not claim that your place of habitual residence is the UK.

You would almost certainly be turned back if stopped at a road block.

If you do not have residencia, then you are not allowed to drive a Spanish registered car in the UK.
jcee

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby elchedave » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:44 pm

jcee wrote:As I understand the law here in Spain, your are only allowed to travel across Spain and France to return to your place of
'Primary Habitual Residence'. If, as you state, you have residencia here you can not claim that your place of habitual residence is the UK.

You would almost certainly be turned back if stopped at a road block.

If you do not have residencia, then you are not allowed to drive a Spanish registered car in the UK.

& very true
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Terry964 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:47 am

You are not allowed to take your Spanish Reg car to UK
Terry964

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby prefect » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:48 am

My Friend arrived in France yesterday from leaving Quesada at 8 am . He has a French reg car and had his forms filled in for Spain and France. He drove to Perpignan via Barcelona and never encountered one single road block or check en route. No checks of any sort at the border. Just been informed he is continuing his route at this moment to the Massive Centrale in the centre of France
prefect

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales/Quesada

Postby djw » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:24 am

I am sure you will not have any difficulty taking a spanish reg car to the uk as your a resident of spain and your primary residence is here. Lots of spainish, french begium and dutch residents take their car on holiday to the uk and that is fine.

It is the reason of travel that may be difficult but if it is an emergency then I am sure you will be fine. As you say it is better to check with the embassy but what is the worse that can happen? You get turned back? If you need to go then all you can do is try.

good luck
djw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Daya nueva

Next