Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Money

Re: Money

Postby nnejy » Sat May 30, 2020 6:17 pm

We arrived in Spain during late December. Prior to that we had been living in China for the previous 5 years. Luckily we bought our house in Spain before we left.

It is rare to see money changing hands in China, everything is done via the phone. I think we got so used to it, it was quite a shock coming to Spain and seeing how the technologies are lagging.

I am not saying this as a criticism, it is just an observation. Personally, I feel the less we use hard cash the better?
nnejy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Murt » Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 pm

All that talk about money reminds me of the USA.

I absolutely hate dollar bills, especially small denomination ones. Filthy scruffy things. You can have a big wad of dollars and still have feck all. They all look the same and if you have 20 one dollar bills, you certainly aren't going to paint the town red. Likewise, you can have loads and loads of US coins and when you add them up and sort them. you might have $3-$4. Most American wallets don't even have a coin pocket in them. 20 quarters, their largest coin = $5. It's easier to throw it away than keep it.

On the other hand, when you have a wad of Euro notes, you just glance at the color of the notes and you know you're in the money. Now that I think about it, most people don't even use the €5 note much anymore. Maybe it's time they introduced a €5 coin. Likewise a handful of Euro shrapnel can amount to a considerable amount when sorted and counted.

Something else to despise America for, besides Trump. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Murt

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada MarquesaGolf

Postby Red Rock » Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 am

Also it diminishes the opportunities for the scumbags who wait near the cashpoints ready to steal from the person drawing out cash.
Red Rock

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Terry the gardener » Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 am

Not all places take card ..For one many of the charity shops do not have card machines the one i work in dose not have one ..and i think most of them are the same ..
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby TonTri » Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 am

I also need cash to pay tradesmen such as the gardener and handyman.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby anthomo16 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 am

The top world financiers and the likes of Bill Gates all want us to use cards - then they can control the world . They make the call on the bank rates etc. etc. No I do not want to see the demise of cash, filthy as it maybe. I want to control my own money and not have those trillionaires tell me what I can and cant do! My take only.
anthomo16

Which part of Spain are you from?: ciudad quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Sun May 31, 2020 10:23 am

If as you say they control bank rates that will apply to cash too won't it?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Neradd » Sun May 31, 2020 11:02 am

Chrisdee wrote:My money has gone up. I use an English credit card (get good exchange rate) and because I get mum n dad's shopping I then get the euros off them. I shall use the card more often as it saves transferring money over too.

Hi Chrissdee, are you using a Credit Card or a Debit Card that allows you spend in Euros without a Fee?
A Credit Card usually charges about 2.5% transaction Fee.

If you are using a Credit Card, have you had a look at a Starling Card or Monza Card as an alternative.

I have an account with Starling. It's a normal bank account but you can use your Debit Card to pay in Euro's without any transaction fees. The Exchange rate is the Current Mastercrd rate, which is very good.
You can also have a Euro Account linked to your UK account if you wish.
Bank transfers are a lot cheaper than the UK banks too. I've been paying my rent this last few months using mine.

My daughter has a Monza Card she uses for travelling abroard, she likes the bright pink one, like you do, (eyes roll)
I cant say too much about Monza, because I don't know. But, it suits my daughters needs.

I think the main difference is Starling allows a larger Daily / Weekly Cash withdrawal.

Perhaps something worth looking into if you don't have a Spanish Debit Card and having to use a UK Credit Card
Neradd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby Chrisdee » Sun May 31, 2020 11:16 am

It's a UK Credit card, no charge and we always pay in Euros and the rate is more favorable than changing up our cash for euros.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Billyboy » Sun May 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Between us , my wife and I have 3 UK credit cards , Halifax Clarity, Nationwide Select credit card and a Santander Zero card - which I use for any big purchase here in Spain . These UK cards give me the exact exchange rate and if the balance is paid in full each month , there is no interest . These cards are NO GOOD for withdrawing cash - as I found out some time ago !

For every thing else we use cash and will continue to do so . When my wife and I brought our first property 20 years ago our Spanish solicitor told us not to trust Spanish Banks . It's always stuck with me . Look at the millions of miss sold mortgages they gave to ex pats which contain a floor clause .

Big Brother is getting a bigger foothold in our every day lives and "The Virus" has only accelerated it. I don't like it but I fear it won't stop until they chip us all . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVQR99bXt8
Billyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

PreviousNext