Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Money

Money

Postby marcliff » Sat May 30, 2020 11:51 am

Someone mentioned they'd just been to the bank to draw some money out. Now, that's something I haven't done for a while. I had €40 in my wallet about 3 months ago and still have a €10 note in there. The other was used for my wife to get her hair done and me a haircut.

Apart from that, we haven't used any money at all. All the shops requesting bank cards and they've increased the touch and go ones from 20 to 50 euro makes it seem a bit superfluous.

We haven't been to a cafe for a coffee, which I think I would still use actual cash money for, or bought any of the cheap stuff from a Chinese store.

Everything else has been the card and no money has changed hands (ain't 'arf quick coming out of the account, though).

I wonder if actual cash money will be another casualty of this crisis and we all get so used to using the card that ATMs might become defunct?

Us oldies generally do like a bit of cash in the wallet but even for us it is used less and less. Even our gardener carries a cash pay machine around with him. Perhaps the accordion players outside the supermarkets may have to find other occupations.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Re: Money

Postby blingle » Sat May 30, 2020 12:18 pm

I think I can beat that. We left Spain in the last week of February, and I had about €80 in notes in my wallet and a couple of 1 Euro coins, but no UK £.

Just over 3 months later...I have €80 in notes in my wallet, no UK £ in there...and I've discovered that 1 Euro coins are fine in UK supermarket trolleys!

Nearly 3 and a half months...no cash spent.

Everything's just contactless now!

As a bigger bonus, my oh and I are saving over £600 a month on work travel costs...so there are some benefits!!!
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby PGA » Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 pm

There was pressure to go cashless before this crisis. I think it’s driven the demise of cash forward considerably and cannot see much of a future. The governments would of course far prefer a more traceable form of transactions...

Like you, I haven’t had the need to use cash in months. Felt sorry for the homeless chap I usually give a few quid to when I saw him last night. I should imagine those who need to beg will (not) get short change, pun intended.
PGA

Postby Moston » Sat May 30, 2020 1:37 pm

In uk when you paid with card supermarkets use to offer cash back, do they not do that now? Just drop the homeless man a fiver every other week, or better still a sixpack, i never give them money just food,
Moston

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Sage » Sat May 30, 2020 1:46 pm

In the UK the only items I've used cash for are car parks and my local newsagent (who doesn't accept contactless under £10) since the beginning of our lockdown.

I find it difficult to keep track of spending when using contactless for everything as I don't always get a receipt unless I ask for one and I sometimes forget to ask.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Jonnno » Sat May 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I have really learned the benefits of using a card, even for small amounts in bars (but keep some cash for tips). Will use more in future.
Jonnno

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby shirlie anne » Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

I have had 1e.05 cent in my purse since march 13th lol its still there
shirlie anne

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby cheflady » Sat May 30, 2020 5:19 pm

To true Marcliff if you just used card it's so easy not o think about it but if you have to take notes out of your wallet/purse you think twice! Ps Marcliff glad to see you back the forum hasn't been the same without you! Jules
cheflady

Postby cheflady » Sat May 30, 2020 5:36 pm

To true Marcliff if you just used card it's so easy not o think about it but if you have to take notes out of your wallet/purse you think twice! Ps Marcliff glad to see you back the forum hasn't been the same without you! Jules
cheflady

Postby Chrisdee » Sat May 30, 2020 6:01 pm

My money has gone up. I use an English credit card (get good exchange rate) and because I get mum n dad's shopping I then get the euros off them. I shall use the card more often as it saves transferring money over too.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Next