Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

help with dog walking

help with dog walking

Postby Pinkbabytots » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Good evening,

I have two small dogs, one weighs about 12 kilos and the other about 17 kilos. Lovely characters and really soft. However, they have developed this attitude on the dog lead when they see another dog. They start pulling and want to reverse out of their harnesses. I'm really struggling to take them out together because of this - 29 kilos between the two of them is hard work when this happens.

Off the lead, they are brilliant with other dogs and regularly go to a fabulous doggy hotel when I go back to the UK.

What I'm looking for is someone who can help with dog walking. It has been suggested that I take them out separately but I haven't got the heart to leave one at home whilst the other one is being walked and vice versa.

If they are both on their leads, they are quite happy to walk separately. Just as long as they both have their leads on at the same time.

I look forward to your suggestions and/or recommendations.

Thank you.
Pinkbabytots

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cuidad Quesdad

Re: help with dog walking

Postby Lisaellis13 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 am

I have two Springers who pull like mad even with a harness on, I put their extendable leads on then make a loop round their tummies and this stops them.

Here's the trick: Wrap the leash around your dog's chest or waist, leaving the snap attached to the collar, and passing the handle end under the snap end. Done. When your dog pulls, they will now tighten the leash around their own body. When they stop pulling, the pressure lets up instantly.

Hope this helps.
Lisaellis13

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby CDun » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

There is an area next to Recoral park suitable for walking dogs off lead. From the roundabout and main entrance into the park if you keep driving before you get to houses on the right hand side there is a small road which leads to a parking area. Normally there is also an enclosed dog park close to Aldi and Consum, but don't think this is open again yet.
CDun

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby shirlie anne » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:42 am

Hi i also have 2 dogs that weigh between them 88 kilo lol... i have a Belgian Shepard who just pulls all the time and wants to go 100 mile an hour.. and i have a lab who just wants to strut her stuff and take her time lol... i find with duke the shepard a good under belly harness works gr8 for him.. ( its the same as the working police dogs wear) as i have more control as it fastens at the neck area so i can pull him back when needed.. i find i have much more control with it and he seems to walk much better without pulling me off my feet..
shirlie anne

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby Moston » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Ive watched one particular dog owner he has 2 big dogs they always walk to heel either on or off lead very well trained,run when told to run return when asked to, prehaps the dogs that pull while on a lead would benefit from training .
Moston

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Ian Mobley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:29 am

Never use a body harness its asking for trouble as it's around a dog's strongest part of the body. Get a mussel harness and you will get full control as it's the dogs most sensitive area eventually combine with a slip chain and then once they walk well drop the mussel harness. Slip chains do not harm the dog but they don't like the noise the chain makes as it tightens.Praise and treat good behaviour and scold for bad
Ian Mobley

Postby Planet Janet » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:42 pm

The dog park is now open so you can leave them run free .
Planet Janet

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm

I used a Roger Mugford Halti collar, looks like a mussel but it's not, I had a very strong Rhodesian Ridgeback and it was perfect. No pulling whatsoever. Available on Amazon
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Moston » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:14 pm

Talking about dog training, anybody remember Barbara Woodhouse,
Moston

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales