Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Help my Dogs Afraid

Help my Dogs Afraid

Postby LA MARINA LADY » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:33 pm

I have just 2 days ago adopted a two year old Yorkie cross from a rescue centre. She is adorable and I was told she does pee when you make a fuss of her.
However it would appear she is a bit traumatised by her previous experiences she was found wandering the streets and when we try to pick her up she does cower down and pee.
She doesn't seem to know what treats are so we cannot reward her when she is taken out and she pees in the right place. Any ideas anyone? we are dog owners usually male dogs but have not come across this problem before and we know it will take time for her to feel confident with us.
LA MARINA LADY

Re: Help my Dogs Afraid

Postby garysl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm

It's probably something called submissive urination. I had a Springer Spaniel (male) some years ago, and he used to do it, when you came through the door, or made a fuss of him. He grew out of it though. Have a read of this and it might give you some ideas. https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/submissive-urination
garysl

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby LA MARINA LADY » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:04 pm

Thank you so much, I’ve had a read of the article you suggested and have taken note of the expert comments. It is only two days and she is a really good little dog so maybe it will stop once she is fully used to us. Thank you again
LA MARINA LADY

Postby Benjy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Just be patient, give her lots of love and attention but don’t force it on her. Dogs are trusting and she will eventually come to trust you. Well done for adopting.
Benjy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Murcia

Postby LA MARINA LADY » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm

Thank you so much that’s what we’re hoping
LA MARINA LADY

Postby JakkiB » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm

She'll be fine, just give her time. Reward her when she does good and ignore it if she messes. Have you tried small bits of sausage as a reward? That usually works. Good luck with her, don't give up.
JakkiB

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby LA MARINA LADY » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for your re-assurance she is such a little sweetie I’m sure we will get there. I think I’m stressing because my other fur baby is not well and I don’t know how long we shall have him. Thank you again
LA MARINA LADY

Postby KarenCouzens » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Ignore her for a while when you come home. Also try not to bend over her. She should not be so submissive then.
KarenCouzens

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales, Alicante

Postby Franfitz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 pm

My dogs have always loved tuna or little bits of cheddar as s treat! especially tuna!
Franfitz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona pepe11

Postby Franfitz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:10 pm

Also we have a tiny dog who wees occasionally when excited. Dogs tend not to wee where they sleep. We crate trained ours are lift her out and walk her as soon as she wakes. Then s bit of cheese or tuna, it worked eventually,
Franfitz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona pepe11

Next