Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Starling Bank - Euro Bank Account - opinion & experiences?

Starling Bank - Euro Bank Account - opinion & experiences?

Postby Redwoodsman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Does anyone have experience of using the Starling Bank Euro account
- advertised as - "A euro bank account in the UK -a full current account with its own unique European IBAN" - " free to hold, send and receive euros with Starling, and there are no monthly fees." -
I would especially like to hear the opinions of any customers who have used the account's facilities in Spain.
e.g. monthly fee payments, cash withdrawals etc.
Redwoodsman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Starling Bank - Euro Bank Account - opinion & experience

Postby teresamc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:13 am

Hi
We have had a home in La Mata for 23years, non residents, we were originally with Cam bank which was taken over by Sabadell and their charges started to get ridiculous. We have had a Starling card for nearly two years and back in March decided to open the Starling Euro account. Knowing Spain and how difficult things can be I contacted our Solicitor in Torrevieja and told them that I wanted to close my Sabadell Bank account and transfer all our D/D's [Water, Electric, Suma, House Insurance and Urb fees] to our Euro Starling account. They said that they could do this for us for a charge of E72.60. I gave them all the information required and they contacted me tell me when they were all set up. I then contacted Sabadell by telephone to tell them of my intention to close the account which was noted. I then transferred the balance minus the fee
to our Starling Euro account. So far so good. have had D/D for Water, Electric and Urb fees deducted and before they were it flagged up on the Starling App on my phone that this was going to happen. I just transfer from £ to Euro account when fees due.
teresamc

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Mata

Postby Alan mac » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 am

Hi I have a Starling account both in €and £ and also a Revolut account I transfer from my UK account to Revolut then convert it to € and transfer to starling this avoids any fees ,
Alan mac

Which part of Spain are you from?: Hurchillo

Postby Neradd » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:46 pm

:text-goodpost:
I also have a Starling Account. I have it in £ and € but not had a need to use the € part of it yet.
I use the Debit Card in Sterling no problem.
Good to know about using it in tandem with Revolut to avoid fees
Neradd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby Redr0bb0 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:22 pm

Be careful. I just moved to Starling euro account and it all was great until 1/1.

As Brexit transition period is now over I have seen many times the bankers for Spanish utility companies are starting to charge admin fees for taking money from a non-EU account. I have heard up to 66€ although it seems 18€ is more usual.

I am in the process of switching to Transferwise which has a Belgian IBAN number.
Redr0bb0

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa