Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

90 Day trips in 2021

90 Day trips in 2021

Postby Paul Uden » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 am

I understand that in 2021 non resident UK tourists will be able to make short trips to Spain without a visa - 'short' being defined as no more than 90 days within any 180 day period. Does anyone know if this is applicable to the EU as a whole or to each country separately i.e. could you hypothetically spend 90 days in Spain immediately followed by 30 days in France?
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Re: 90 Day trips in 2021

Postby marcliff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 am

Paul Uden wrote:I understand that in 2021 non resident UK tourists will be able to make short trips to Spain without a visa - 'short' being defined as no more than 90 days within any 180 day period. Does anyone know if this is applicable to the EU as a whole or to each country separately i.e. could you hypothetically spend 90 days in Spain immediately followed by 30 days in France?

Nobody yet knows as no agreements have been made. However, if the rules become the same as for any other non EU citizen then it's 90 days in the EU, not an individual country. So, no, not 90 days in Spain then 30 days in France. The 90 days in 6 months starts when you enter the EU. Unless you apply for a long stay visa.

As said, nobody knows at the moment but it is likely this will be a two way thing so EU citizens will only be able to go to UK for 30 days in every 180 as well.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul Uden » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:19 am

Thanks Marcliff. I guessed as much. Just means we need to take other holidays into account too when calculating (or apply for Spanish residency - dilemmas!). Also I realise it's EU + Schengen less Ireland that has to be factored in.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby ray01827 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 am

Hi
I checked with our solicitors a few months ago and they confirmed that the 90 day rule is fiscal. In other words a new year starts a new period so effectively we could come to Spain end of September pop back to uk for Christmas then return early Jan and stay for 90 days without any issues. Return to Spain again end of September/early October and the time rolls on again.
This of course would mean that no further European holidays
ray01827

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby A.N.Other » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:54 am

Your solicitor is feeding you BS.

Ask him/her to show you where in the law it says that but don't be surprised when they can't.
A.N.Other

Which part of Spain are you from?: Almoradi

Postby Paulr » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 pm

ray01827 wrote:Hi
I checked with our solicitors a few months ago and they confirmed that the 90 day rule is fiscal. In other words a new year starts a new period so effectively we could come to Spain end of September pop back to uk for Christmas then return early Jan and stay for 90 days without any issues. Return to Spain again end of September/early October and the time rolls on again.

This of course would mean that no further European holidays

Complete bunkum. Your solicitor clearly has NO knowledge of the Schengen rules. The clock starts ticking from the first day a non-EU citizen lands in a Schengen country and the 90 days are counted in a ROLLING 180 day period, it does NOT restart at the beginning of each new year:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

If your solicitor is telling you that, God alone knows what other rubbish he's telling you. My advice? Get a new solicitor.
Last edited by Paulr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby marcliff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:05 pm

I think your solicitor may be getting mixed up with residency and travel. Yes, the 90 day (or 180 day) limit for residency only applies in a tax year but the travel is in one calendar year.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2