Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Wild cats

Wild cats

Postby greenwood » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 am

There is a lady who comes near to us every morning to feed the wild cats and this is now attracting more and more cats to the area. Is she breaking any laws or is she allowed to do this?
I am not a cat hater, just asking the question.
greenwood

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Wild cats

Postby cerveza » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:39 am

Most of those cat feeders have a licence from the townhall. And cats stay in their own area, they will not change there area because somebody puts food. It just means, they where all the time around your house. But they just come out to eat and hide again...
cerveza

Postby cerveza » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:43 am

And secondly, not all outside cats are wild . Since Brexit a lot of Brits just threw their beloved cat out before closing the front door and run of to the UK
But they love animals and will probably take a “new” one in the UK...
cerveza

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 am

You do need a licence to feed the feral cats but i bet a lot that feed them do not have one
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby elchedave » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:26 am

Chrisdee wrote:You do need a licence to feed the feral cats but i bet a lot that feed them do not have one

Correct, most of them don't have a license to feed them. I saw the Policia local stop a woman near Casa Contenta in Rojales & fine her, she was cycling around the Golf Course area with food & water feeding lots of different "colonies" of feral cats. These people never feed them close to their own homes either, we used to live by the driving range at La Marquesa golf & every evening, as it came dark, a woman got in her car across the valley, drove down to the steep car park & dozens of cats came out to the sound of her car, she fed them & then drove home, all under cover of darkness. You can't tell me she was a "legal" feeder !!!
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 am

A vet told me that people shouldn't feed the feral cats and should let nature takes its course. If people keep feeding them they will keep breeding and you'll get more cats. What they should do is trap them, get them spayed and put them back where they came from.
Chrisdee

Postby brandyboy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 am

We used to feed the cats in the rocks at the breakwater in Guardamar. One day we got a proper telling off from the Guardia who told us he would fine us if he saw us again.
He said feeding them encourages them to breed and makes the problem worse.
brandyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Madcatwoman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Chrisdee wrote:A vet told me that people shouldn't feed the feral cats and should let nature takes its course. If people keep feeding them they will keep breeding and you'll get more cats. What they should do is trap them, get them spayed and put them back where they came from.

Hi,
This is what Torrevieja and Rojales town halls do, they have a capture,neuter and release programme to try and keep the colonies down but unfortunately with more people dumping cats and limited funds it can be like fighting a losing battle. I agree that people other than those licensed by the town hall to do so should not feed them, especially wet food,unless they plan on capturing and neutering them, and if they know of a colony to inform the town hall so they can act accordingly.
As we know at the moment than ever more cats and dogs are being dumped or left behind and exasperating the problem, Torrevieja animal rescue is overflowing with cats and dogs at the moment as are alot of other animal charities.
Madcatwoman

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Siesta

Postby william » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:54 pm

Your life must be perfect if this is all you got to complain about ,when ,people are dying from a virus. Think yourself lucky.
william

Postby Ron Hill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:05 am

william wrote:Your life must be perfect if this is all you got to complain about ,when ,people are dying from a virus. Think yourself lucky.

Clearly your not bothered by feral cats then
Ron Hill

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Next