Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Rules for 2021

Re: Rules for 2021

Postby garysl » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:02 pm

what are they going to lose that they didn’t know beforehand?

Well it appears from this thread, and others that I've read on Facebook, that some people didn't realise that they would no longer be able to come and go to Spain, as and when they pleased. Or maybe they did read about it and just wrote it off as "project fear" and assumed that Spain couldn't manage without the Brits. There were certainly discussions, with people holding exactly that point of view, on this forum, at the time of the referendum.
garysl

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Sage » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:04 pm

CharlieFarmer wrote:
Sage wrote:There are some good points being made here. Nobody on this thread is suggesting the issue will result in a collapse of the economy or it bankrupting Spain. But, it will cost the Spanish economy the loss of a few million euros.

Is Spain so well off it can wave goodbye to that income ?
What advantage do Spain get in exchange for that loss of income ?

It doesn't make sense to me.

That's because there is no sense to it, at it's best Brexit was only ever going to produce losers, something many are only now beginning to realise and in many cases to their cost.

Without trotting out hoary old slogans about "taking back control" blah, blah, blah, who can point to one single benefit it has brought - or is bringing - to anywhere or anyone?

I've racked my brain but have come up with zilch.

You don't have to trouble yourself to think of benefits of Brexit, it's already been done for you. If you run a search on the internet theres lots of information listing the advantages and disadvantages.
Sage

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby jcee » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Sage wrote:If you are resident in the UK and you do the math then you can spend 30 days in Spain and then 30 days in the UK alternating all through the year.

jpeg wrote;Not correct you forgot that once you have spent a total of 90 days in Spain then you can not come back until another 180 days have elapsed

Just to clarify, the 90/180 rule is based on a rolling 180 days. In effect you could spend 30 days in the Eu and then 36 days in UK, 30 days in EU, 36 days in UK etc,etc. The reason for the longer time in the UK is to allow for the following.

The day of arrival and the day of departure count as 2 days, the limit is 90/180 not 3 months in 6 months.

The 180 days is described as a rolling 180 day period. So on the day of planned arrival you count back 180 days, subtract any days in UK, result is the amount of time you can stay in the EU. So after 90 days in the EU, you could then leave for say 9 days and then return for no more than 7 days + 2 days for arrival/departure. It would not be sensible as any disruption to plans could result in an overstay and fine.
jcee

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Paulr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 pm

garysl wrote:
Spain will be full of pensioners and the young folk will go elsewhere

As someone said in a previous comment, where are they going to go? The rest of Europe has, more or less, the same rules and other places that might appeal, like the USA and Australia have even stricter rules. That's what the UK voted for. An end to free movement.

Well said, Gary! I'm amazed by the ignorance of some of the comments in this thread - Schengen rules have been around for 25 years, but UK citizens weren't affected by them because we were EU citizens. They're EU rules, not Spain's - and either way, the UK did this to themselves by voting for Brexit, so would people please stop blaming the EU and Spain.
Paulr

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby Paulr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Lockey57 wrote:Let’s hope it will apply to all the Spaniards living in the UK?

That's part of the problem: Spain offered generous terms to protect the rights of UK citizens living here, they even enshrined them in Spanish law, but said that the UK would need to reciprocate - BoJo and his Clowns refused.
Paulr

Postby Paulr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 pm

I've tried several calculators for forward planning visits to the Schengen zone and by far this is the easiest and best I've found:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

If you drive down through France, the 90 days starts to countdown as soon as you arrive on French soil, likewise on your return. Similarly, if you fly into Spain and arrive at 11.55pm, that is your first day in Schengen, even though it's only 5 minutes. If you fancy a 2 week holiday in Italy, that time also comes off your 90 days allowance in a rolling 180 days, so best to keep track.
Paulr

Postby CharlieFarmer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Sage wrote:
CharlieFarmer wrote:
Sage wrote:There are some good points being made here. Nobody on this thread is suggesting the issue will result in a collapse of the economy or it bankrupting Spain. But, it will cost the Spanish economy the loss of a few million euros.

Is Spain so well off it can wave goodbye to that income ?
What advantage do Spain get in exchange for that loss of income ?

It doesn't make sense to me.

That's because there is no sense to it, at it's best Brexit was only ever going to produce losers, something many are only now beginning to realise and in many cases to their cost.

Without trotting out hoary old slogans about "taking back control" blah, blah, blah, who can point to one single benefit it has brought - or is bringing - to anywhere or anyone?

I've racked my brain but have come up with zilch.

You don't have to trouble yourself to think of benefits of Brexit, it's already been done for you. If you run a search on the internet theres lots of information listing the advantages and disadvantages.

I'm completely open to be educated so please point me to just one of the sources you allude to.
CharlieFarmer

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Previous