Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

No Deal Brexit?

Re: No Deal Brexit?

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:31 pm

People still like to discuss?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Steve and Jackie » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Listening to LBC last night it was declared that Britain as a SOVEREIGN country will be able to control it's own laws regarding trade. The only problem is that if they do and the EU do not agree with it then a non British 3rd party will arbitrate and decide. This includes negotiating with other countries.
Doesn't sound that sovereign to me.
Steve and Jackie

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby hobnob » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Well said Chrisdee...well Michael...As individuals myself and the wife were not allowed to vote. That said my main issue is that I accept my generation has never got the concept of being both British and European into our minds...I feel really bad that my Grandchildren have effectively had their ability to live and work within the European Union curtailed...Erasmus has also been removed from the Deal so education as well has suffered for younger people. For me its about the older generation taking away the rights of the young generation...I am settled here in Spain and have been so for a number of years...I had the opportunity why can not the British young generation. The irony is that Britian seems to have spent four years trying to rejoin a trading block that they voted (37%) to leave four years ago at a cost of billions. As for Fish...get real us Brits are a Cod or Haddock and chip nation...the rest even when caught by the few British boats that have not sold their catch quota rights to the Europeans are then sold to the europeans ...you really could not make it up...AS Christee says this is a Discussion Forum...quite simply contribute or don't...as you said its democracy as long as its kept friendly you should not be the arbiter of what is discussed. Happy Christmas.
Last edited by hobnob on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobnob

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Postby CharlieFarmer » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:26 pm

I've asked before and received no answers so I'll ask again,"what has anybody actually gained from Brexit?"

All I can see are losers.
CharlieFarmer

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Jillandsteve » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:38 pm

hobnob wrote:Well said Chrisdee...well Michael...As individuals myself and the wife were not allowed to vote. That said my main issue is that I accept my generation has never got the concept of being both British and European into our minds...I feel really bad that my Grandchildren have effectively had their ability to live and work within the European Union...Erasmus has also been removed from the Deal so education as well has suffered for younger people. For me its about the older generation taking away the rights of the young generation...I am settled here in Spain and have been so for a number of years...I had the opportunity why can not the British young generation. The irony is that Britian seems to have spent four years trying to rejoin a trading block that they voted (37%) to leave four years ago at a cost of billions. As for Fish...get real us Brits are a Cod or Haddock and chip nation...the rest even when caught by the few British boats that have not sold their catch quota rights to the Europeans are then sold to the europeans ...you really could not make it up...AS Christee says this is a Discussion Forum...quite simply contribute or don't...as you said its democracy as long as its kept friendly you should not be the arbiter of what is discussed. Happy Christmas.

Erasmus has been replaced with another similar scheme so that’s not a problem
Brexit won’t stop anybody coming here to work or to retire
37% voting is irrelevant and just a numbers game
It wasn’t the trading block that was the problem, that’s what we joined many years ago, it’s what it became, a political union where nameless unelected bureaucrats made the laws that were rubber stamped by the elected representatives of 27 other nations which all brits had to follow, like them or not
Fishing is simply a matter of principle, who’s waters are they,,simple as that
The older generation are not taking the rights away from the younger generation,those rights only existed whilst a member of the EU as they didn’t before we were a member
They were just transient rights, nothing permanent
It’s now a different world and we just have to adjust
Jillandsteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Jillandsteve » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Steve and Jackie wrote:Listening to LBC last night it was declared that Britain as a SOVEREIGN country will be able to control it's own laws regarding trade. The only problem is that if they do and the EU do not agree with it then a non British 3rd party will arbitrate and decide. This includes negotiating with other countries.

All trade deals, with every country, are subject to conditions
There’s nothing different about this deal
Remember, the UK can object, in the same way, to laws in other countries that affect trade
Nothing is that different , plus

Under the deal announced today there will be zero-tariff, zero-quota access to the EU single market - and Mr Johnson has maintained the ability to diverge from Brussels standards, with no role for the European Court of Justice.
Disputes will be settled by an independent arbitration panel, similar to the structures already in the Withdrawal Agreement and those commonly used in international trade situations.
In a Downing Street press conference today, Mr Johnson said: 'In the context of this giant free trade zone that we're jointly creating the stimulus of regulatory competition will I think benefit us both.
'And if one side believes it is somehow being unfairly undercut by the other, then subject to independent third party arbitration and provided the measures are proportionate, we can either of us decide – as sovereign equals - to protect our consumers.
Jillandsteve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Steve and Jackie » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Jillandsteve wrote:
Steve and Jackie wrote:Listening to LBC last night it was declared that Britain as a SOVEREIGN country will be able to control it's own laws regarding trade. The only problem is that if they do and the EU do not agree with it then a non British 3rd party will arbitrate and decide. This includes negotiating with other countries.

All trade deals, with every country, are subject to conditions
There’s nothing different about this deal
Remember, the UK can object, in the same way, to laws in other countries that affect trade
Nothing is that different , plus

Under the deal announced today there will be zero-tariff, zero-quota access to the EU single market - and Mr Johnson has maintained the ability to diverge from Brussels standards, with no role for the European Court of Justice.
Disputes will be settled by an independent arbitration panel, similar to the structures already in the Withdrawal Agreement and those commonly used in international trade situations.
In a Downing Street press conference today, Mr Johnson said: 'In the context of this giant free trade zone that we're jointly creating the stimulus of regulatory competition will I think benefit us both.
'And if one side believes it is somehow being unfairly undercut by the other, then subject to independent third party arbitration and provided the measures are proportionate, we can either of us decide – as sovereign equals - to protect our consumers.

But what was said was if the EU renegotiates with the trade deals they currently have with other countries then the UK trade deal with that country automatically gets adjusted to match. I don't see how the UK can be competitive.
Steve and Jackie

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Big Wheeler » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Our original vote was for the European Economic Community,a trading organisation.This morphed without public consultation into the European Union,a political organisation.Michael Gorbachev described the EU as the USSR in a suit.
Big Wheeler

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby MichaelC » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:11 pm

I don't get all these people taking about the younger generation not being able to work and live in Europe now.
Thats complete rubbish. The difference is they may need a work or residential visa, just the same as if they wanted to live in many other countries. The benifit to Europe is they could now refuse visas to undesirables or those with little to offer. That's a good thing and also what the UK wanted.
MichaelC

Which part of Spain are you from?: QUESADA

Postby blingle » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:39 pm

hobnob wrote:I feel really bad that my Grandchildren have effectively had their ability to live and work within the European Union...

Eh? Why? I can't see anything that says that can't.

Please explain.
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

PreviousNext