Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

TAX on goods from UK

TAX on goods from UK

Postby Deadeyedick » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:27 pm

Hope someone out there is able to shed some light on my problem. I am expecting a parcel with DHL today. They have sent a message to say I have to pay €26.12 on something that I paid £32. The VAT is €5.06 and something called gestion despachio which is €20.93. Does anyone know if this amount is correct and what this gestion despachio is? I knew I would have to pay something but didn’t think it would be this amount.

TIA
Deadeyedick

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Re: TAX on goods from UK

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:00 pm

This was from my friend in France 2 days ago: God dam it just had a notification from DHL to pay €38,50 before delivering from next ...anyone else had this happen? I have sent the notification to Next as instructed by their online help desk now have to sit tight and wait for a reply .....annoyed or what?

Todays reply: Good received, Had to pay and now to retrieve it back from Next .....
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Wouldn't be anything to do with customs tax would it But then you wouldn't be able to claim that back from Next, all a bit odd at the moment
Chrisdee

Postby Deadeyedick » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Chrisdee wrote:Wouldn't be anything to do with customs tax would it But then you wouldn't be able to claim that back from Next, all a bit odd at the moment

It seems to be some charge DHL are taking for this so called despatch management. Absolutely ridiculous. Like you’re friend I’m fuming. Obviously I knew I was going to pay VAT but this despatch management charge ???
Deadeyedick

Postby TonTri » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Beware, my daughter warned me a couple of weeks ago about a scam with DHL going around. See if you can make sure it's genuine.
TonTri

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:33 pm

One of my friends friends has said the delivery driver arrived with her parcel and because she hadn't paid took the parcel back, it's all a bit strange.

This is from the Govt and it says under £135 no charge?

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Chrisdee

Postby Bee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:01 pm

This is supposed to be a calculator for calculating vat and import duty from anywhere around the world

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

I recall seeing somewhere that the seller in the UK should quote the price minus UK VAT so that you are not paying VAT on VAT when it is calculated for customs duty. The UK retailers were supposed to be gearing up to quote the price with the duty paid etc at your final check-out. Perhaps the ones that were delayed over Christmas are now caught between the old and the new regime. I presume any of the carriers will charge for collecting taxes for the government. The only way to avoid the duties is to have your purchases sent to a friend in the UK and then they can post it on to you as a gift. They put "no commercial value" on the customs form. That was how we did it in the old days pre 1999.

Bee
Bee

Postby Deadeyedick » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I am getting the feeling that this is DHL trying to make extra money. I have contacted the seller and complained bitterly about this charge made by their chosen courier. I will let you know if I have any luck.
Deadeyedick

Postby william » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 pm

This is all down to being a third country, its the new system its going tobe expensive
william

Postby camionpilot » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:53 pm

Deadeyedick wrote:Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I am getting the feeling that this is DHL trying to make extra money. I have contacted the seller and complained bitterly about this charge made by their chosen courier. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Dhl have always [ in Spain ] raised an vat and admin charge for imports , thats why i tell sellers out of the eu not to use them to send goods to me , any one useing ebay uk will have import duty calculated if being sent by GPS [ pitney bowse ]I checked something today , on a £139 invoice they wanted to collect £39 import and £15 carriage for an item which would fit a large jiffy bag ...!!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Next