Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Double glazing tips for 1995 apartment

Double glazing tips for 1995 apartment

Postby whereswally » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:18 pm

i have a small 50m2 apartment, flat roof with a solarium, 2 outside walls exposed, and next door apartments on the other two sides. it was built in the mid 90s and has single glazing and tile flooring and id like to make it warmer so considering getting double glazing.

In your experience has it been worth it? For 3 windows and a balcony door I'm looking at about €2800 (this quote was for aluminium and incl new persianas) but I worry it wont make a lot of difference because the heat will just escape out the walls (or get in, in the summer).

And is it worth paying the extra to get the pvc?

feel free to suggest any local suppliers (i think leroys have a custom window installation service).

thanks
whereswally

Which part of Spain are you from?: torrevieja

Re: Double glazing tips for 1995 apartment

Postby lindylou23 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Definitely do it one of the best thing we've done since we've been here.

I thought the same as you that the heat would just go out of the walls, but not so. Most of our cold and draughts were through the ineffective original windows.

Get the pvc not aluminium, we used C & G Fabrication, and went for tilt and turn windows.

If your persianas are ok they do inserts, same quality as a full replacement unit. We had inserts for some of our windows and 3 full replacement patio doors.
lindylou23

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby whereswally » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:34 am

great thanks lindylou23! i come from nz where most older homes were built in complete denial of the frigid winters, and double glazing was always a must have upgrade, along with batts in the wall (i dont know what they do here for insulating walls here, maybe expanding foam?)
whereswally

Which part of Spain are you from?: torrevieja

Postby Mel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 am

lindylou23 wrote:Definitely do it one of the best thing we've done since we've been here.

I thought the same as you that the heat would just go out of the walls, but not so. Most of our cold and draughts were through the ineffective original windows.

Get the pvc not aluminium, we used C & G Fabrication, and went for tilt and turn windows.

If your persianas are ok they do inserts, same quality as a full replacement unit. We had inserts for some of our windows and 3 full replacement patio doors.

Lindylou
Hope this isn't a silly question but if you got tilt and turn, does this mean you got rid of the grills? and what is a persiana? x
Mel

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 am

A Persian is the shutter the heavy blinds
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Mart 63 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 am

They have upvc windows, with shutters and fly screens in brico depot. Various sizes for around €150.
Mart 63

Postby jpeg » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am

Which Brico ?
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Mart 63 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am

jpeg wrote:Which Brico ?

The one by Elche
Mart 63

Postby lindylou23 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:35 pm

Mel wrote:
lindylou23 wrote:Definitely do it one of the best thing we've done since we've been here.

Lindylou
Hope this isn't a silly question but if you got tilt and turn, does this mean you got rid of the grills? and what is a persiana? x

The windows open inwards, as opposed to sliding, I have verical blinds and it is not a problem. So easy for cleaning as well both sides done in the time it took to fiddle about sliding windows back and forth. The tilt aspect tilt the window at the top if you dont want the windows fully open, but want air flow in the house.

This is also what we opted for on the patio doors as well, useful of an evening and overnight in summer in the bedroom for air to circulate, mossie blinds on units as well,lovely.

Persianas are the shutters that roll down outside the window, and yes we have all our grills, and none had to be removed for any of the fitting on the inserts we had done or on the new units, complete new units will give you new persianas, so depends on the condition of what you have got already as to what option you go for.

Wished I'd changed them years ago, you don't realise how cold the windows here are (metal doesn't help with condensation either) until you replace them.
lindylou23

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Gasgit » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:38 pm

You cannot insulate the walls unless you clad either inside or outside, I have a feeling that’s not for the feint hearted, and judging by uk prices expensive, have heard of people putting laminate flooring down as well
Gasgit

Which part of Spain are you from?: Playa Flamenca

Next