Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Question renting

Re: Question renting

Postby Philipb1407 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 am

izzy b wrote:Hi everyone asking this question for an elderly neighbour, during lockdown last year he let the tenant off with 2 months rent as he had no work, he never told him he had to pay it back at the time.. My neighbour has sold the house and decided now he wants that rent???! Any thoughts thanks in advance

The read up sounds like the neighbour has not declared the rent as business profits. Contract or not. Is that correct. It was cash in hand and not declared? This is an assumption not fact.

The tenant can not be chased for two months rent, if as you say, he let him off due to lack of work. There is no evidence of nonpayment and it’s the tenants word against the owner.

If the tenant wants to clarify his position he can go to the Suma office, declare he was renting the property from date a to date b, explain that the owner said it was ok to miss 2 months rent and that he believed it was free rent. The Suma will investigate the house owner to ensure that the profits were subject to local law and taxes and rule on the matter of missed rent, refunding any over paid tax on the 2 months if declared and tax paid. They are good like that..

So I’d love to hear what the Suma office say...
Philipb1407

Postby jpeg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am

The Suma office is a Private company that is appointed on a contract to collect taxes for Town Halls they have no legal standing
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Philipb1407 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 am

jpeg wrote:The Suma office is a Private company that is appointed on a contract to collect taxes for Town Halls they have no legal standing

So would it be the town hall.?
Hey I don’t know as I would never rent out a property I own. Far too many problems. Tax and repair costs, it’s too much hassle.. currently I own two houses and I’m looking for a third. I’ll try to get 4 month in each! It’s me n wife and visitors only...
Philipb1407

Postby izzy b » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am

Last edited by izzy b on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzy b

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby izzy b » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:38 am

Last edited by izzy b on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzy b

Postby izzy b » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:44 am

Last edited by izzy b on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzy b

Postby Philipb1407 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 am

izzy b wrote:
Philipb1407 wrote:
izzy b wrote:Hi everyone asking this question for an elderly neighbour, during lockdown last year he let the tenant off with 2 months rent as he had no work, he never told him he had to pay it back at the time.. My neighbour has sold the house and decided now he wants that rent???! Any thoughts thanks in advance

The read up sounds like the neighbour has not declared the rent as business profits. Contract or not. Is that correct. It was cash in hand and not declared? This is an assumption not fact.

The tenant can not be chased for two months rent, if as you say, he let him off due to lack of work. There is no evidence of nonpayment and it’s the tenants word against the owner.

If the tenant wants to clarify his position he can go to the Suma office, declare he was renting the property from date a to date b, explain that the owner said it was ok to miss 2 months rent and that he believed it was free rent. The Suma will investigate the house owner to ensure that the profits were subject to local law and taxes and rule on the matter of missed rent, refunding any over paid tax on the 2 months if declared and tax paid. They are good like that..

So I’d love to hear what the Suma office say...

Hi yes cash in hand not declared, contract was one 2 lines of text in 2001.
Thank you for that info. I would love to know too, but I am asking for the info on behalf of the landlord. I didn´t think there was much chance to recover it but he asked me to ask on here for information.

Personally I think he has made enough money in 20 years of not paying tax on his profits to cut a little slack to his tenant who seemingly has paid his rent without fault then due to Covid could not earn, and asked for help for two months rent, now because the owner wants to sell up, the poor tenant has had to leave! I would have said don’t worry about 2 months rent, here is another 4 months rent you paid plus your bond, thank you for being a wonderful tenant..... after all he just sold his house and made a killing..
Philipb1407

Postby izzy b » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Last edited by izzy b on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzy b

Postby jpeg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 pm

The tenant did not have to lease because the house was sold the new owner is obliged by law to honour the tenancy
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Philipb1407 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:50 pm

jpeg wrote:The tenant did not have to leave because the house was sold the new owner is obliged by law to honour the tenancy

What tenancy, it was a cash in hand agreement! A few lines 20 years ago..gee..
Philipb1407

Previous