Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Travel - UK to Spain et aL

Re: Travel - UK to Spain et aL

Postby Whelts » Sun May 09, 2021 4:44 pm

I love the way the government get the blame again.

They have "ignored industry pleas to make trips affordable".

This is the industry that have just increased the flight costs to Portugal from £150 to £450 each way, overnight and as soon as it was given a 'green' rating.
Whelts

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela Costa

Postby Dave c » Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 pm

They were talking about the amount it costs for testing both ways .
Dave c

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Jonnno » Sun May 09, 2021 6:32 pm

OK. To be fair UK government and travel industry are both guilty of introducing unreasonable charges to travel to and from uk.
The government is clearly condoning charges arising from their own action. Don't really understand why the testing charges, which are necessary, should not be an NHS service for Brits.
Jonnno

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby marcliff » Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Jonnno wrote:OK. To be fair UK government and travel industry are both guilty of introducing unreasonable charges to travel to and from uk.
The government is clearly condoning charges arising from their own action. Don't really understand why the testing charges, which are necessary, should not be an NHS service for Brits.

You think the Brit taxpayer should subsidise peoples' holidays?
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Jonnno » Sun May 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Only in the same way as they already do with travel vaccines provided by the NHS
Jonnno

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby Elpando » Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 pm

marcliff wrote:
Jonnno wrote:OK. To be fair UK government and travel industry are both guilty of introducing unreasonable charges to travel to and from uk.

You think the Brit taxpayer should subsidise peoples' holidays?

I understand where you are coming from with that comment but the amount of my hard earned wages that I have handed over in Tax and National Insurance in the last 45 years knocks me sideways. I for one think that a little bit of something in return now and then might be a nice idea.
Elpando

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby RJC » Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 am

Under Article 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (“TFEU”), an undertaking may abuse its dominant position by “directly or indirectly imposing unfair purchase or selling prices.”

Interesting legal case commenced in 2016 re excessive and unfair pricing involving a Pfizer drug.
Complex legal case - may be of relevance more broadly to charges for both vaccinations and testing inoculations.
Strict criteria apply re establishing a fair price - two approaches are given - cost plus or competitive context.

"The UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) concluded that the prices were excessive because they exceeded the Cost Plus benchmark, as the ROS for both parties throughout the relevant period was significantly above 6%. Further, it found that the prices were also unfair “in themselves” because they had no reasonable relation to the economic value of the capsules which was not higher than their cost of production plus a 6% ROS (i.e., the Cost Plus benchmark)."

Judgement taken to appeal.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) held in its judgment that a price can be considered excessive when it has “no reasonable relation to the economic value of the product supplied”.
The ECJ stated that the excessive nature of a price could be determined “inter alia” based on the following two-limb test:
the price must be “excessive”, which is the case when the difference between the cost of production and the selling price of the product is excessive (“excessive limb”); and
the price must be “unfair” either (i) in itself or (ii) when compared to competing products (“unfair limb”)

For further info

https://www.covcompetition.com/2020/05/ ... s%E2%80%9D.
RJC

Postby tel49 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:29 am

Whelts wrote:I love the way the government get the blame again.

They have "ignored industry pleas to make trips affordable".

This is the industry that have just increased the flight costs to Portugal from £150 to £450 each way, overnight and as soon as it was given a 'green' rating.

Hi, Ryan Air are adding 57 flights to Portugal from Monday 17th May in the news today. Think it was £67 return!!
tel49

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Redwoodsman » Mon May 10, 2021 11:32 am

Elpando wrote:
I understand where you are coming from with that comment but the amount of my hard earned wages that I have handed over in Tax and National Insurance in the last 45 years knocks me sideways. I for one think that a little bit of something in return now and then might be a nice idea.

Although I, and my family, would directly benefit from the idea, I totally disagree with the idea of subsidising holiday testing.

Really "the little bit of something" that you have already gained was the protection and benefit of the NHS for you, your family, and the rest of the UK population.

Anything (i.e., because of the expense) that lessens the benefits of the NHS that can be gained, for the whole population, is questionable.
Redwoodsman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby RJC » Mon May 10, 2021 11:39 am

The charges for vaccinations and testing kits need to be examined to establish if they are fair and not excessive.
If airlines, tourist boards and ministers wish to subsidise these charges that also needs to be looked at - I would be OK with that.
RJC

PreviousNext