Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Re: Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Postby daz » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:02 pm

When we leave ours, every window is securely closed, every one has locks on, all windows have steel railings and every window has wind down shutters with locks. Would strongly recommend that, and expect the slight whiff you talk of, instead of leaving anything that compromises the buildings security. We turn water off inside and leave one tap just slightly open so there is no pressure, and we turn off the water at the meter mains tap too. Yes the u bends may dry out and whiffs may develop from that. But as soon as you open all the windows and get the water back on it’s gone in couple of hours anyway. We don’t have a key holder service, personally found them to be expensive and all they can do is let you know something might be wrong, I’m not aware of any that offer to just crack on with cheap repairs until you get back to the apartment. So I’ve never seen the point. And so far, I’ve never had any issues yet.
When you return, just open all the windows for a couple of days, the blow through will clear the air, and your holiday begins. Any other variation of “peace of mind” cost too much money for what I believe i would get. Just my view though. Happy holidays.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby BohsPaul » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:10 pm

If you like I can come over and mind it for the year for a small fee . :text-lol:
BohsPaul

Postby Rickys » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:41 pm

Agua fuerte down the drains be careful its acid, plug sinks and overflows, seal toilets and sinks with cling film,,empty kettle and seal, empty toaster disinfect everywhere, drop shutters leaving air gap and windows open with mossie blinds across , disconnect water, power down. Houses pre 2018 need to breathe after 2018 should be built to European building standards so will have cavity wall insulation and cavity roofs, still need to breathe but will do so through the cavity
Rickys

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marina

Postby Babsie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:41 am

Bit offended by what you mean by a caravan smell? We have had a caravan for years left in uk used only in the summer and have never had any sort of smell from it. In fact we returned for first time this year having not been for nearly two years and no smell. May I suggest you clean your fridge thoroughly before you leave your property and leave it wedged open not closed.
Babsie

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Barnette » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am

I leave wine corks in the sink overflows. And plugs in sink. Tip from my neighbour prevents bad smells. blinds down with a slight gap and windows very slightly open. Also have a key holder on my urbanisation who goes in to air out occasionally.
Barnette

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dons pepa

Postby Ov3rdal3 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:49 am

From recent experience;

Leave a key with a trusted neighbour in case of emergencies, and exchange contact details
Empty the fridge and freezer and turn off
Turn the water off at the mains
Leave the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher door open
Ventilate the property where you can to prevent mould
Unplug everything
Remove batteries to prevent them corroding terminals
Store batteries somewhere fireproof in case they overheat
If you have an open fire install some chicken wire to prevent unwanted intruders (bats and birds)

Spray cockroach insecticide around external doors
Wash the floors with a mild disinfectant
Cover furniture for dust protection
Get someone to check on your mail

If you have a car get someone to run it each month to prevent the battery from completely discharging make sure you can organise itv and road tax
Make sure you can pay you suma and other fees
Ov3rdal3

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby QuesadaQuesada » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:02 am

Babsie wrote:Bit offended by what you mean by a caravan smell? We have had a caravan for years left in uk used only in the summer and have never had any sort of smell from it. In fact we returned for first time this year having not been for nearly two years and no smell. May I suggest you clean your fridge thoroughly before you leave your property and leave it wedged open not closed.
Sorry you’re offended, but I too had a caravan for many years. I’m obsessed with cleaning, but I can assure you that everybody knows what a ‘caravan smell’ is. It’s not dirt…it’s the smell of a place being locked up for so long.
QuesadaQuesada

Postby QuesadaQuesada » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:07 am

Thanks everyone.

The smell I’m referring to isn’t the drains, fridge, or anything in particular. It’s the smell of a house that’s been locked shut for a year in the boiling heat and then rainy season.

It’s exactly the same smell that you get when you walk into a caravan that has been locked shut for a long time. Maybe it only happens in the south of England, but it’s a smell that’s talked about a lot by static caravan owners. I seem to have offended one caravan owner.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to keep the place smelling sweet whilst I’m away.
QuesadaQuesada

Postby Vixen14 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:54 pm

Ask a neighbour or pay a key holder they come in once a mth, air, flush toilets check electrics water no leaks etc ring if any problems with house/flat for peace of mind it's worth it, if interested private message me
Vixen14

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:05 pm

Nothing beats fresh air. How about the aerosol freshners that give a squirt out every 20, 30 min, Air wick? But somebody would need to replace them every 2-3 months. I would pay a neighbour to go in once a week and open up the windows for a couple of hours.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

PreviousNext