Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Re: Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Postby Gasgit » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:10 pm

I read about putting a bit of cooking oil in the drain small amount it apparently slows evaporation it won’t be as bad as you think on your return turn water main off if possible
Gasgit

Which part of Spain are you from?: Playa Flamenca

Postby Ginger » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:15 pm

QuesadaQuesada wrote:Hello. I’m used to that slight caravan smell when I return to my house each year, so, I’ve bought some dehumidifiers for each room, but I doubt they’ll do the trick for a whole year.

Any tips on whether I should leave the shutters open or closed when I leave? Windows open slightly? Any tips welcome.
whise going to empty the dehumidifiers?
Ginger

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cartagena, murcia

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:25 pm

Maybe it's the one in plastic containers with the crystals. Once the crystals go they're finished and it doesn't overflow.

Ginger wrote:
QuesadaQuesada wrote:Hello. I’m used to that slight caravan smell when I return to my house each year, so, I’ve bought some dehumidifiers for each room, but I doubt they’ll do the trick for a whole year.

Any tips on whether I should leave the shutters open or closed when I leave? Windows open slightly? Any tips welcome.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby willemite » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:12 pm

I’ve read a lot of recommendation for Merrymaids in Quesada, might be worth chatting to them. Worth paying a fee to them or a trusted friend who will do the work for you.
We use to leave our place closed for 8 months and inside was fine, just airless we did as others suggested internally F/F, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, interval doors all open. Everything unplugged including the external water heater. Our water was left on because of the pool but our friend flushed the sinks/toilets when cleaning the pool and he sorted out the garden.
We had outside dusk/dawn light fitted purely so people thought it was occupied. If you have outside postbox ask neighbour to empty it of junk mail.
it’s the patio and balustrades that needed the work doing when we returned because of the dust and red rain and of course the shutters needed a good hosing down as well.

It’s a lot to consider but do try to get someone to oversee the security of you home.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby rfh40 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi all ;-)

One trick picked up from Spanish neighbours is to put a couple drops of olive oil in the WC water ,it help prevent the bowl water evaporating.

TTFN
rfh40

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby QuesadaQuesada » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Ginger wrote:

They stop working once the crystals have been used up.
QuesadaQuesada

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Dieselburner » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:32 am

My place has been closed 18 months, I pulled all the shutters down, left all the windows wide open, and put shop bought humidifiers in each of the bathrooms shower by the drains, 3 month ago my house was inspected and there was no damp, no mould and no smell, so I am hoping all is fine when I arrive. I’ll let you know by reposting once I open the door.
Dieselburner

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada2

Previous