Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Postby QuesadaQuesada » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Hello. I’m used to that slight caravan smell when I return to my house each year, so, I’ve bought some dehumidifiers for each room, but I doubt they’ll do the trick for a whole year.

Any tips on whether I should leave the shutters open or closed when I leave? Windows open slightly? Any tips welcome.
Last edited by QuesadaQuesada on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuesadaQuesada

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Any tips for leaving my property for a year?

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Shutters down but leave the gaps inbetween and leave the windows slightly ajar. Don;t think you can do much else really. Have you got somebody to check on it weekly?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:20 pm

to stop drainage smells I cling film over the toilet bowl and shower plug and put all plugs in sink.
Bill

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona pepa

Postby SharonSpain » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Put up with the smells and secure your house as much as possible. Defo agree with the cling film trick (don't forget when you first come back)
SharonSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Steve wilkins » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Do you know what causes the smells? You could try baking soda. Works wonders in smelly shoes. I assume it would works pouring some down the sink upon your return too.
Steve wilkins

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:14 pm

The smells are from where the water evaporates down the pipes and the drain smells come up, don't have water traps or whatever they are called like the UK.

Steve wilkins wrote:Do you know what causes the smells? You could try baking soda. Works wonders in smelly shoes. I assume it would works pouring some down the sink upon your return too.
Chrisdee

Postby Steve wilkins » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:34 pm

[quote="Chrisdee"]The smells are from where the water evaporates down the pipes and the drain smells come up, don't have water traps or whatever they are called like the UK.

Wouldn't the U bends on the sinks stop that though? Plugs and blocking the overflow are a good idea.
Steve wilkins

Postby Adey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:28 pm

If you have a toaster then don't forget to empty it, all the crumbs in the bottom is a bit like finding a 24hr McDonalds to a cockroach :o
Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby Bhoy1967 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:53 pm

For drain smells, put a gallon of water in a bin bag and lay it over a shower drain, put one in the toiled and also one over the plug hole in sinks, also a bit of duct tape over the overflows. Personally we also leave the shutters down with light gaps and leave the windows slightly ajar. We are quite fortunate as we have three close by neighbors, who like us are permanent residents, so very very seldom are we all away. We all have keys for each others gates, it only takes 5 minutes to wander around to check on things.
Bhoy1967

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijotar

Postby Rusrob03 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:09 pm

Personally i would strongly recomend useing a key holding service with at least one inspection/maintenance vist a month,as a property maintenance person,i have seen this summer with people arriving after 18months most have had some sort of problem ie:- overgrown gardens,mold on interior walls,furniture,bedding due to lack of ventilation,storm damage,insect infestation,rodent problems.
With regards to drain smells this will be caused by ĺack of water passing through the system in your house,and that smell if allowed to continue will get into any soft furnishings,wardrobes,towels etc
All of this and more i have experienced this summer,so for anybody who is thinking of leaving their property closed up, for peace of mind think about a legal key holding service
Russell
Rusrob03

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Next