Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Is there much Covid in this area?

Re: Is there much Covid in this area?

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm

That’s what happens at home if someone is going into hospital but not a lot of use to people who are experiencing covid symptoms and need to test. Will a doctor send one out to a person who suspects that they may have Covid 19? Going to buy a test in the local chemist isn’t ideal if you have symptoms. There must be some way of being tested without the possibility of spreading the virus.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Glassfull » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:39 pm

If you suspect you have Covid, contact your surgery and they’ll tell you where to go for a test
Glassfull

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:08 pm

They were doing COVID test every afternoon at around 3 if you thought you may have it down at La Mata salud but that was a few months ago not sure about now.

Mac3blade wrote:That’s what happens at home if someone is going into hospital but not a lot of use to people who are experiencing covid symptoms and need to test. Will a doctor send one out to a person who suspects that they may have Covid 19? Going to buy a test in the local chemist isn’t ideal if you have symptoms. There must be some way of being tested without the possibility of spreading the virus.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:35 pm

Bit naive to think that, because UK gives the test free, other countries would as well. It has been posted on here a few times that you can get the test without a prescription from pharmacies but have to pay. Same in most countries although Germany and Austria are now giving them free due to the high level of incidence they are experiencing.

Maybe, if you want the test for your own peace of mind, they could have been brought from UK instead of relying on other countries systems.

Saying that, if you have probable symptoms of Covid, which the health ministry describes as fever, persistent cough or breathing difficulties, you will be issued a prescription free of charge. I have no idea if you have to do the test yourself or whether a practice nurse will do it as I don't know anyone who has done so.

The prescription is issued to residents or visitors holding a GHIC/EHIC.

Madrid is going to give free antigen tests but, again, only with symptoms but you will not require a prescription. Catalonia has free antigen tests at rail stations and the cost is included in the price of the ticket.

If you have symptoms you should contact 900 300 555. If they can't speak English on that number then your local health clinic (for most of us, Lo Marabu) but only in the hours they are open. Out of hours there is a 24 hour clinic in Rojales on 965 290 255. Obviously, if the symptoms are really bad, then you should ring 112 who will advise you on steps to take and they do speak English on that service.

Quite a few supermarkets do home delivery if you think it's that bad. Some you have to register beforehand but you must tell them you have symptoms so they can take the necessary precautions. The Smart Shop (Gama) in town does deliveries by its own taxi.

If it gets so bad that you need to be hospitalised, I should imagine Torrevieja University hospital would be where you would taken. I wouldn't think, and this is just my opinion, the private hospitals would have isolation units and ICUs.

The incidences in Spain are on the rise in every region. However, at the moment, serious cases and deaths are still relatively low and the ICU occupants are mainly among the unvaxxed. According to the health minister in Valencia, ICU occupancy is 90% unvaxxed and deaths are 88% unvaxxed. Of those double vaxxed the low number of deaths are usually quoted as between 84 and 95 years of age.

The amount of positive tests is, again only in my opinion, not that significant. Hospitalisations and deaths are the main point. If UK is testing over a million a day then the number with extremely mild symptoms will be included and will boost the numbers up. Trouble is, the serious cases and deaths in UK are still very high which I put down to a lot of mis (or dis) information pumped out by social media and daily papers. Germany is suffering this as well with the story going round that it makes you infertile and 20% of those not vaccinated said that was the reason they hadn't had them.

This particular area, Alicante province, is still lagging being the rest of the region with 18% of residents not vaccinated and that includes over 3,000 people over the age of 70.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Thank you Marcliff, that is some information.
Thankfully, we are both fine but I was thinking about other visitors arriving and wondered who they would turn to for help should it be required. I would suggest that all of us should bring tests with us for our own peace of mind.
Do people who have flown from the U.K. into Spain get contacted if somebody on their flight gets covid upon arrival? My friend flew in from
NI last Tuesday morning. Tested positive on Thursday night. Nobody at home that he was in contact with has caught it so the flight /journey looks the most lightly place.
It’s a pity that every country isn’t implementing the same requirements. Bring back the antigen tests for travel before arrival and departure. It may cost us but it could save lives.
Many thanks indeed for your very comprehensive reply. You are a very knowledgeable gentleman and your willingness to share it is commendable.
Best wishes,
Rosemary.
Mac3blade

Postby marcliff » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:06 pm

Yes, people do get contacted, it's why they fill in the "locator" form (or health control form as officially known).
They also have a track and trace system here that actually seems to work. It's called Radar Covid but I doubt many tourists would have that app downloaded.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:15 pm

It’s time we all downloaded this app . It’s our duty to help fight Covid 19 where ever we are. I will now try to download it.
Regards and thanks again. R
Mac3blade

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:16 pm

Another question.
My friends who both have Covid 19 and have tried to inform the town hall, health centre, Spanish Tel number given to all arrivals and nobody has recorded them as yet. How can they advise the powers to be that they are covid positive. Funnily enough, she searched fir covid in her area and was told that there were no cases near her and she was sitting beside her infected husband ! What css as n she do with the QR code that she has managed to download. Nothing tells her where to register it and she would very much like to register there infection.
By the way, she also tried to order food from Mercadona but it was too difficult as all in Spanish. ( understandable). Tried Consum who deliver but only once you’ve gone the shopping physically inshore. . Finally, ‘phoned the international shop in La Marina and the man did everything to help her including sending pictures of most of his stock! Managed to pay electronically and groceries delivered abd left outside her gate this afternoon.
Help is there but not easy to find.
Mac3blade

Postby Paul Uden » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:18 pm

I used Radar Covid in the early days, but I doubt many people did and, like the equivalent app in the UK, it seems to have fallen by the wayside, if indeed it ever took off. Unless it has a high number of users who also leave their bluetooth on it can't do its job. In the UK people had to scan in when going to cafes and restaurants at one stage which at least encouraged people to switch it on a bit, but that has never happened in Spain to my knowledge.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Ross Kemp » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 am

Rojales ... 13:00
2 school classes were waiting to be tested.
After that a line of 40 more people from 20 - 70 waited for test.
So let's hope that were all clear
Ross Kemp

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

PreviousNext