Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

National insurance number requested

National insurance number requested

Postby ozzysteeve » Sat May 14, 2022 10:44 am

Hi all, the guys over at Angar tax who do my non residents accounts each year have asked for my NI number.
Has anyone been asked for this.
Is there a reason they need this.

Any insight would be appreciated.
ozzysteeve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: National insurance number requested

Postby marcliff » Sat May 14, 2022 11:08 am

My NI number (usually referred to over here as your Tax Ident Number) has been lodged with the people who do my taxes and the bank also asked for it as well.

Nothing dodgy in it.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby suzi wong » Sat May 14, 2022 12:59 pm

In our experience,you have to provide your NIE number for lots of purchases,we’ve been asked for it for SIM cards,even when buying a washing m/c & fridge freezer, sometimes it seems almost like a police state.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby ozzysteeve » Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm

marcliff wrote:My NI number (usually referred to over here as your Tax Ident Number) has been lodged with the people who do my taxes and the bank also asked for it as well.

Nothing dodgy in it.

Ok thanks, wasn't sure as they have my NIE number already. Was just curious why they may need my national insurance number from the UK. Regards
ozzysteeve

Postby Shiva » Sun May 15, 2022 1:19 am

Most likely because it can be traced by Spanish authorities, if they need ( or want) to do so to show you are tax resident in UK. Your NI number is typically also your tax reference number in the UK.Bank here asked me for it prior to residency. They are probably obliged to ask for those tax related reasons.
Shiva

Postby Babu » Sun May 15, 2022 11:30 am

As stated by Shiva, it is so they can check you are actually paying taxes in UK to establish non-residency. It was brought in a couple of years ago to counter tax fraud by the EU. It was at the same time that Banks now require your NI number attached to the account whereas before your passport Number sufficed . . .many had their bank accounts frozen until the NI number was provided.
Babu

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby ozzysteeve » Sun May 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Shiva wrote:Most likely because it can be traced by Spanish authorities, if they need ( or want) to do so to show you are tax resident in UK. Your NI number is typically also your tax reference number in the UK.Bank here asked me for it prior to residency. They are probably obliged to ask for those tax related reasons.

Thanks for the responses. Good to get people's insight and experience. All helpful.
Regards
ozzysteeve

Postby ozzysteeve » Sun May 15, 2022 1:20 pm

Babu wrote:As stated by Shiva, it is so they can check you are actually paying taxes in UK to establish non-residency. It was brought in a couple of years ago to counter tax fraud by the EU. It was at the same time that Banks now require your NI number attached to the account whereas before your passport Number sufficed . . .many had their bank accounts frozen until the NI number was provided.

Thanks Babu, these are things I never knew. Good to learn as you go along.
ozzysteeve