Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

French Senator Proposes 6 month Homeowner Visa

Re: French Senator Proposes 6 month Homeowner Visa

Postby Darro » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:27 am

The topic needs to be kept in perspective.

Since Brexit the vast majority of 2nd home owners will have fallen into one of two camps.

1. Those sold or planning to.
2. Those still visiting for up to 180 days but in two tranches of 90 days instead of in one go.

The former needs no further comment but in the case of the latter the potential loss of income for Spain due to the splitting is as near to zero as makes no real measurable difference and certainly not enough to warrant inventing a special visa for. The contribution from so called 'swallows' had always been grossly exaggerated anyway, usually by those with a vested interest, whereas in fact it represents a virtually immeasurable blip in the statistics.

France have introduced a visa for stays of between 90 days and one year but it's supposed to be a precursor to residency not an onongoing facility or readily renewable.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Suzyharry56 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:03 am

This would be wonderful we have owned property for 21 years run a business there for 4 years paid all our taxes now restricted with brexit we would so welcome this decision fingers crossed
Suzyharry56

Which part of Spain are you from?: Doña pepe

Postby Volcano » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:58 pm

Darro wrote:The topic needs to be kept in perspective.

Since Brexit the vast majority of 2nd home owners will have fallen into one of two camps.

2. Those still visiting for up to 180 days but in two tranches of 90 days instead of in one go.

The former needs no further comment but in the case of the latter the potential loss of income for Spain due to the splitting is as near to zero as makes no real measurable difference and certainly not enough to warrant inventing a special visa for. The contribution from so called 'swallows' had always been grossly exaggerated anyway, usually by those with a vested interest, whereas in fact it represents a virtually immeasurable blip in the statistics.

France have introduced a visa for stays of between 90 days and one year but it's supposed to be a precursor to residency not an onongoing facility or readily renewable.

We used to spend near 7 months of the year at our villa, and 6 weeks of that was in Tenerife or France, because of the Schengen calendar, we are now only getting 4 months and have started looking at cruising instead, so may sell our villa. We can’t bear the July and August heat, but love late 1/2 September October November and 1/2 December, we then loved late March April May and 1/2 June. Then do January or February in Tenerife, We can’t do this any more. We spent a lot of money in Spain when we came for long periods, now we have only been for 10 weeks in the last year and spent very little. If this is the same for lots of people like I suspect is the case, then Spain and other areas are losing vital income, it’s not like we retired are coming to work..
Volcano

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby BNT162b2 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:26 pm

Volcano wrote:
Darro wrote:The topic needs to be kept in perspective.

We used to spend near 7 months of the year at our villa, and 6 weeks of that was in Tenerife or France, because of the Schengen calendar, we are now only getting 4 months and have started looking at cruising instead, so may sell our villa. We can’t bear the July and August heat, but love late 1/2 September October November and 1/2 December, we then loved late March April May and 1/2 June. Then do January or February in Tenerife, We can’t do this any more. We spent a lot of money in Spain when we came for long periods, now we have only been for 10 weeks in the last year and spent very little. If this is the same for lots of people like I suspect is the case, then Spain and other areas are losing vital income, it’s not like we retired are coming to work..

So...with a couple of adjustments, you could do 1/2 Sept, Oct, Nov & 1/2 Dec, as you love.

Maybe do January & February in Turkey...maybe cruise somewhere non-Schengen in March.

Back to your villa in April, May, June.

Back to the UK in July, August and first half of September.
BNT162b2

Postby Volcano » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:26 am

Yeah we could, you’re right or we could look at not worrying about Schengen rules and go somewhere else. For Europe to cut the money vein by regulating tourists is plain stupid, you only need to look at the half empty or closed restaurants and bars to see how it’s hurting. There is no reason that those who own holiday property could not have a visitors visa to come and go as they wish as long as they accept that if they are caught working illegally, they can lose their visa for life and face a lengthy ban from even entering that country. That’s the real reason for the Schengen rules to stop people abusing hospitality by working on the black market.
Volcano

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 am

I haven’t heard of Spain challenging or fining anyone yet. We all know there are people who stay for longer periods and are getting away with it. I have often felt that many expat residents take great pleasure in rubbing it in and constantly reminding us of the rules. Darro states that the SWALLOWS don’t bring / spend money when in Spain. I’d say” wise up” how can you not spend money? I never seem to leave the supermarket and I tried the new Cons near us on Saturday and spent €47.13 on food for our dinner. No alcohol but very nice salmon fillets and fresh prawns. The crusty baguettes are double the price I pay in Aldi. Half a melon was €4.30 and 3 chicken fillets were over €6 Believe me, we leave plenty of money in Spain but enjoy everything we spend it on. It’s cheaper to eat out now.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Darro » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:50 am

Volcano wrote:Yeah we could, you’re right or we could look at not worrying about Schengen rules and go somewhere else. For Europe to cut the money vein by regulating tourists is plain stupid, you only need to look at the half empty or closed restaurants and bars to see how it’s hurting. There is no reason that those who own holiday property could not have a visitors visa to come and go as they wish as long as they accept that if they are caught working illegally, they can lose their visa for life and face a lengthy ban from even entering that country. That’s the real reason for the Schengen rules to stop people abusing hospitality by working on the black market.

You seem to have a somewhat warped concept of what the EU is and how it works!

Also Mac3Blade I did not say that swallows don't bring/spend money so please don't twist my words.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby BNT162b2 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:44 pm

Darro wrote:
Volcano wrote:Yeah we could, you’re right or we could look at not worrying about Schengen rules and go somewhere else. For Europe to cut the money vein by regulating tourists is plain stupid, you only need to look at the half empty or closed restaurants and bars to see how it’s hurting. There is no reason that those who own holiday property could not have a visitors visa to come and go as they wish as long as they accept that if they are caught working illegally, they can lose their visa for life and face a lengthy ban from even entering that country. That’s the real reason for the Schengen rules to stop people abusing hospitality by working on the black market.

You seem to have a somewhat warped concept of what the EU is and how it works!

Also Mac3Blade I did not say that swallows don't bring/spend money so please don't twist my words.

To be fair, Darro, it was lovely to hear about those crusty baguettes and the salmon fillets....... :text-lol:
BNT162b2

Postby Kingy0 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:53 pm

I think the question should be why the EU has the 90 day rule in the first place. It's not for Brits or home owners to want to benefit from special arrangements since brexit but, there is a fundamental question to be asked of the EU as to why they insist on the 90 day rule for extended stays. I have no idea why that is but have to accept it. As a so called swallow of 20 years I have spent a considerable amount of euro's which would well exceed that of individual holiday makers but must concede that overall holiday makers would collectively bring in far more than swallows. So at the moment I like all other second home owners have to stick to the rules. However, there is no reason why people should not advocate for a change to the 90 day schengen rule for the EU. Most other countries such as the UK and USA have a 180 day rule so seems reasonable that we ask the EU to consider a change.
Kingy0

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Bee » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:10 pm

It is way too soon to know the effects the January 2021 date has had on businesses in the Costa Blanca area. It will need a couple of years figures to substantiate any claims of businesses being affected. It will get a lot stricter from November this year when they start monitoring electronically non-EU travellers coming and going. There will be no hiding from the 90/180 day regime unfortunately. Until then I can't see how the customs can keep track of it.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

PreviousNext