Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Brexit

Re: Brexit

Postby Upstream » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:52 am

There simply aren't any advantages to Brexit, unless of course one or more of the following apply;

1. You have an severe aversion to the colour burgundy - So much so that whenever you had to look at your passport you'd come over all queasy
2. You're allergic to a wide range of fresh fruit and veg (particularly tomatoes) and the very sight of heaving supermarket shelves containing fruit and veg brings you out in hives
3. You just love the inside of airports so much that you like standing around in large arrivals queues whenever possible
4. You felt guilty for not paying mobile phone roaming charges to your provider when traveling across the EU - So much so that you made voluntary contributions but now you have the pleasure of making legitimate ones
5. You have a strong desire for British Sovereignty (oh but hang on... Sunak's deal jut means that we become rule 'takers' rather than having a say)

I've always considered myself European (and still do) but unfortunately my plans of a future retirement in sunny Spain took a bit of a hit as a result of Brexit. Those who voted for it will always say that UK citizens are better off despite an abundance of evidence to the contrary but to admit that we're worse off would be also admitting that they were conned (and it appears that that is a pill all too bitter to swallow)...

My prediction in all of this is that Sunak, then Starmer once he's elected will continue to do these 'deals' that will bring the UK more and more into alignment with the EU and before you know it, UK citizens will be back to enjoying many of the benefits that we lost as a result of Brexit. Once that happens it'll be adios to little Britain for me and Hola Espana!
Upstream

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Ov3rdal3 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:09 am

There are many benefits for Boris
Ov3rdal3

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Sylwina » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:21 am

:text-goodpost:
marcliff wrote:And wouldn't it be nice if the special thread on Brexit were to be used instead of Quesada General Discussion. Then those who have had, quite frankly, enough of the slagging matches these generally turn into, could ignore it.
Sylwina

Re: Brexit.

Postby B&B » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:26 am

In the U.K. we have General Elections every 5 years ,where we can change governments and their policy’s ,if we choose too.So because we live in a democracy ,we can change our minds every 5 years ,if not before . The same applies to referendums ,indeed we have had three on the subject of the E.U. membership and changed our minds in the last one . So instead of calling for the end of Brexit discussions,there is no reason not to have another referendum to rejoin the E.U.
It’s quite obvious that the last referendum was not supposed to be written in stone ,as it was so close and misinformed ,and the majority of the voters would now vote remain .
To say that it’s now not for discussion,is not being open to democratic choices .
B&B

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby wilbhoy67 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 am

I don't think anyone can argue that it's been anything other than terrible.

However, England voted for it and now everyone in the UK must pay the price of it.

Folk need to get on with trying to look for alternatives to retiring abroad on a UK pension and hope , that in time, little concessions are obtained to make it easier to visit EU countries for more than 90 days at a time.

It's not great, it's a poor substitute for what was once taken for granted, but it is what it is. Unfortunately.
wilbhoy67

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Luis

Postby maisiesdad » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:47 am

marcliff wrote:And wouldn't it be nice if the special thread on Brexit were to be used instead of Quesada General Discussion. Then those who have had, quite frankly, enough of the slagging matches these generally turn into, could ignore it.

Couldn't agree more.

Then those of us who wish to vent our spleen could get on with it and those who don't give a fig about what this useless, lying, corrupt tory govt have inflicted on the UK could get on with the price of beans and other topics that float their boat.
maisiesdad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby marcliff » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:58 am

maisiesdad wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Then those of us who wish to vent our spleen could get on with it and those who don't give a fig about what this useless, lying, corrupt tory govt have inflicted on the UK could get on with the price of beans and other topics that float their boat.

There's not one thing on the Brexit issue that hasn't been pummelled time after time and usually end up in a slanging match. There is a section for Brexit.

If you are saying i only comment on things like the price of beans then perhaps I've been wasting my time.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby BNT162b2 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:59 am

maisiesdad wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Then ask Alex whether he'd be willing to set one up.
BNT162b2

Postby marcliff » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:35 am

BNT162b2 wrote:
Then ask Alex whether he'd be willing to set one up.

Set what up? A special thread for Brexit?
You mean like this one? Brexit
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Whelts » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:10 pm

Yes, can do.

1. From a trade deal perspective, the UK previously had access to around 43 active trade deals as part of EU membership - something it paid billions a year for. The UK replicated all but 3 of these (Bosnia, Montenegro, Algeria) and no longer has to pay the EU to access them
2. Since leaving the EU, the UK has improved the rolled over deals with Japan, Singapore and Ukraine - and is in the process of improvement with Canada, Mexico and Israel. As well as striking completely new deals with Australia and New Zealand - not possible within the EU.
3. The gains for the UK fishing sector already exceed over £50m a year, even when taking into account additional costs for paperwork - and improves further as each year passes and quotas are recovered. As a whole the fishing sector is better off than it was inside the EU.
4. As an EU member state, 75% of *all* customs revenue (was 80% when UK was a member) goes to the budget of the EU. Now outside of the EU, the UK HMRC gets 100% of that revenue to spend on public services, currently around £3bn extra a year.
5. Care about improved animal welfare? Since leaving the EU, the UK have implemented policies for the better treatment of livestock, and proposed bans on the sale of furs, shark fins and traditionally made foie gras. All not possible from within the EU.

Hope this helps.
Whelts

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela Costa

PreviousNext