Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Pigeon Clubs

Pigeon Clubs

Postby GnG » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:18 pm

I know it's a bit of a long shot but are there any homing / racing pigeon clubs in or around quesada?

Thanks
GnG

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Re: Pigeon Clubs

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:37 pm

In torrevieja as you come from La Mata you come up the hill towards a big round building, to do with Aquamed I believe just before a small police office on the right there are small green huts, that's where they keep the pidgeons but youdy have to go there and hope to catch somebody to ask. I've walked over there many times and seen the old boys tending them, they colour them too. We've had them in our garden with the men coming in to get them.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:43 pm

These are the buildings you can see on the right coming from La Mata up the hill towards Torrevieja

IMG_20230405_214419.jpg
Chrisdee

Postby Andrea Murphy » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:54 am

There is one in Benijofar but you will need to ask at the Vets or coffee bars to find out where. It used to be Veras coffee bar but that has changed hands.
Andrea Murphy

Postby Zumba with Angie » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:45 am

There´s a club in Quesada just outside Parque el Recorral, I think it´s a Spanish club. There´s usually someone there most days and they release the pigeona a few times a week.
Zumba with Angie

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby John1234 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:58 am

I think one of the bars on formenterra has a club
John1234

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby David Stokes » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:43 pm

Zumba with Angie wrote:There´s a club in Quesada just outside Parque el Recorral, I think it´s a Spanish club. There´s usually someone there most days and they release the pigeona a few times a week.

It's the Guardamar club actually. They don't race the pigeons, it's all about following them around whilst all the males follow one poor female. A judge decides which mail is closest to the female the most when they stop in trees or on the ground. That one is the winner. They are painted in their owner's colours so they can be recognised. Very strange!
David Stokes

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:44 pm

That sounds very much like the ones I'm referring to they've landed in our garden and the men have rushed up in their fleet of cars but didn't know how it works.

David Stokes wrote:
Zumba with Angie wrote:There´s a club in Quesada just outside Parque el Recorral, I think it´s a Spanish club. There´s usually someone there most days and they release the pigeona a few times a week.

It's the Guardamar club actually. They don't race the pigeons, it's all about following them around whilst all the males follow one poor female. A judge decides which mail is closest to the female the most when they stop in trees or on the ground. That one is the winner. They are painted in their owner's colours so they can be recognised. Very strange!
Chrisdee

Postby David Stokes » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:36 pm

[quote="Chrisdee"]That sounds very much like the ones I'm referring to they've landed in our garden and the men have rushed up in their fleet of cars but didn't know how it works.

Yes, that'll be them.
Actually, I am always worried when I see them rushing around after the birds. They are all talking to others in different cars by phone, not legal and not safe. I dread a nasty accident one day.

I also hate the way the birds are kept in small metal boxes about 18 inches cubed, especially in the height of the heat in the summer. Cruel.
David Stokes

Postby The Accountant » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:16 am

We have a very large pine tree and they all settled in there one evening, followed by men in a fleet of cars. The men all wanted to rush into our garden. Literally had to stop them coming in. We allowed 3 in and they proceeded to climb our tree to capture the birds. They picked up each bird and put it in a Mercadonna plastic carrier bag, brought it down the tree, read it's number out loud and passed it over to the correct owner and then put in it's travelling box. Surprisingly the birds did not seem at all distressed by this, in fact they were very calm and co-operative. The whole process took well over an hour.
The Accountant