Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Plenoil petrol price.

Re: Plenoil petrol price.

Postby kevinchetwynd » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:08 pm

There is no difference in quality.The 20% extra mileage on dearer fuel is incorrect as I’ve checked mine.
Example Tesco uses esso fuels so the statement about lower fuel consumption from supermarket fuels is a myth.
kevinchetwynd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby BNT162b2 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:09 pm

kevinchetwynd wrote:There is no difference in quality.The 20% extra mileage on dearer fuel is incorrect as I’ve checked mine.
Example Tesco uses esso fuels so the statement about lower fuel consumption from supermarket fuels is a myth.

The 20% is also very difficult to prove unless the vehicle is on a rolling road.

Very unlikely that someone's managed to do exactly the same routes, same speed, same acceleration and same braking at the same points with 2 separate tanks of petrol.
BNT162b2

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Gustav » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:26 am

Sorry, we seem to get more kilometers per liter on BPfuel, than we do on Tamoil fuel,done same route many times,and the car does less spluttering when ticking over and seems to fire up quicker at first start,
Gustav

Postby Paul M » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:46 am

Gustav, if your car is ‘spluttering’ or is taking time to ‘fire up’ it’s highly unlikely it’s a fuel issue. I would add that certainly in the UK, the fuel delivery trucks for ESSO, BP, TESCO, JET etc; all fill up at the same refineries.

When Coryton in Essex was operational, you would see dozens of tankers from multiple fuel brands all leaving the depot to deliver to petrol stations including supermarkets.

It’s also been suggested that the big brands use an additive which makes their fuel ‘superior’ but I personally doubt this is the case. I was covering around 80,000 miles every year for 20 years in the UK, I used fuels from Shell, ESSO, Sainsbury’s, Tesco etc; and never noticed the slightest difference in MPG or performance.
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby BNT162b2 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:08 am

Gustav wrote:Sorry, we seem to get more kilometers per liter on BPfuel, than we do on Tamoil fuel,done same route many times,and the car does less spluttering when ticking over and seems to fire up quicker at first start,

No need to be sorry, Gustav. But I guarantee that if you do a route along the same road - twice - you will not accelerate and brake at PRECISELY the same time each time, with PRECISELY the same pressure on the accelerator and brake pedal.

You might be behind a lorry the first time, and behind a motorbike the next.

You might overtake the lorry, but stay behind the bike.

You might have the aircon on on one trip, but not the next.

On one trip, you may have your window open.

Those things are all factors in fuel usage.
BNT162b2

Postby Brewingdog » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:12 am

Thanks all for the replies. Its really interesting to note how people differ on this. I've always opted to buy the cheapest fuel i could find, but I'm no expert as to whether this impacted the performance of the cars I've driven. It's odd that there's such a saving by buying petrol from Plenoil. They must be paying the same as BP, Shell and others.
Brewingdog

Which part of Spain are you from?: Salford

Postby telmel » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:54 pm

An absolute myth about more expensive fuel giving better mileage
You may be able to buy the fuel with added detergents that MIGHT keep the engine cleaner
As was said before most fuel comes from the same depot and distributed to different suppliers
It is like cereals, my sister used to work at a distributor many years ago and they had the same cereal that was boxed for different suppliers
You might get a few extra nuts or fruit pieces going in an M and S or luxury box but for most other supermarkets like sainsburys or tescos for example it was exactly the same , just sold at different prices
Concerning contamination this can happen at any fuel station regardless of the company or price
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Previous