Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

XPAT PASSPORTS

XPAT PASSPORTS

Postby wilsoj1926 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:25 pm

HEARD ON THE GRAPEVINE THAT AN XPAT HAS BEEN FINED FOR NOT HAVING A PASSPORT WITH THEM ALTHOUGH FULLY RESIDENT AND IN THE POSSESSION OF A TIE AND SPANISH DRIVING LICENSE.
CAN THIS REALLY BE TRUE OR JUST SOMEONE SCARE MONGERING?
wilsoj1926

Which part of Spain are you from?: BENIJOFAR

Re: XPAT PASSPORTS

Postby Paul M » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:28 pm

Sounds like nonsense to me.
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Adey » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:32 pm

I was under the impression that if you carried your TIE, then there was no requirement to also carry your passport with you in Spain, but according to the Policia National website that is not correct.

https://www.policia.es/_es/extranjeria_extranjeros.php

The Foreigner's Card is the unique and exclusive document intended to provide documentation to foreigners in a situation of legal permanence in Spain, for which purpose the recipients of the same must complete the procedures established for its delivery.
The art. 13.1 of LO 4/2015 on the Protection of Citizen Security, establishes that foreigners who are in Spanish territory have the right and obligation to keep and carry with them the documentation that proves their identity issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin. or of origin, as well as the one that accredits their regular situation in Spain.
According to the previous precepts, the foreigner must prove his identity through the documentation provided by his country, not through the TIE, which proves his administrative situation (not his identity).
TIE holders are obliged to carry said document with them, as well as to show it when required by the Authority or its agents without prejudice to proving their identity through their valid passport or similar document.
Said Card accredits the legal permanence of foreigners in Spain, and that the authorization or recognized right to remain in Spanish territory for a period of more than six months has been granted, in accordance with current regulations.
The Foreigner's Card is personal and non-transferable, and the holder is responsible for custody and preservation of the document.
Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby marcliff » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Hmm, been here permanently now for over 12 years and only been stopped once (routine traffic check) and my driving licence was all they wanted. Hotels only require the TIE card and we went to Mallorca last year (Vueling from Alicante) and they only wanted the TIE card. We had the passports just in case.

In fact, it is no longer necessary for Spanish citizens to carry their DNI with them at all times, just some means of identifying themselves if necessary. (according to my car dealer).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Darro » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:07 pm

I don't think you can really equate what a Spanish citizen may or may not be required to carry about their person with a non national.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:44 pm

A Notorised copy is what we have and that's been acceptable at places. Cost about 7 euros.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Benbow » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:24 pm

What's an expat? I thought we were immigrants.
Benbow

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:33 pm

Benbow wrote:What's an expat? I thought we were immigrants.

Then learn English. You are probably an immigrant in Spain but you are an expat (expatriate) of your home country.

Immigrant - A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
Expatriate - A person who lives outside their home country.

Usually just the Daily Mail clever clogs that come up with statements like that.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby ray-pc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:23 pm

hi i understood details of a persons passport and spanish driving licence were incorporated within the TIE. true or not? ray
ray-pc

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Bartolome

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:29 pm

No details of either on my TIE

ray-pc wrote:hi i understood details of a persons passport and spanish driving licence were incorporated within the TIE. true or not? ray
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Next

Return to Quesada general discussion